The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:06 am 
Offline
Bottle Rocket

Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:34 am
Posts: 1
It appears nobody is using these amps. Am I missing something? I have a Subway Rocket w/reverb and it is one of the best amps I have owned in the 40+ years I have been playing.
I admit that the reverb is a bit weak but other than that this is a great amp.
Just seems odd to me not to see anything about these fine little amps.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:36 am 
Offline
Mark II

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:17 am
Posts: 104
Location: Alkimos, Western Australia
They have been erased from Mesa history. There is no subsection here for them either. They are amazing amps and the preamp design alone is great. The tone stack interacts like classic Boogies and it's easy to get a good tone out of all three modes with the same tone settings. Loud and super-portable too which what everyone is looking for now. You're right about the reverb. The tank is only about 10-15cm long so the effect is almost inaudible.

You'll also find that almost no-one responds on Rocket posts either!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:16 am 
Offline
Triple Recto

Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:31 am
Posts: 3031
Location: North Carolina
You did, wild..... so at lease one person responded. Unfortunately I have never come across a Rocket. In addition to that, I have not seen the V-tiwn either along with many other products that made it to obsolescence. Cool that you have one and it is making you happy.

_________________
Current amps: TC-100, TC-50, JP-2C, MK V, Roadster, RA100


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:35 am 
Offline
Mark II

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:17 am
Posts: 104
Location: Alkimos, Western Australia
bandit2013 wrote:
You did, wild..... so at lease one person responded. Unfortunately I have never come across a Rocket. In addition to that, I have not seen the V-tiwn either along with many other products that made it to obsolescence. Cool that you have one and it is making you happy.


Check it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFuNqFUVCWA


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:26 pm 
Offline
Mark III

Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:17 pm
Posts: 236
Location: Canada
I owned one as a small amp to drag to jams. It was a great little box, 44w with a 12" speaker. Plenty loud, not to heavy, good tones.

My biggest issue (and a big reason why I eventually moved to a Mark V) is that it wasn't quite as flexible live as I'd like:
The Countour Channel was inevitably louder than the Lead, because it boosted the Highs and Lows with probably some mid cut (the GEQ V in a switch). But that also made it impractical, as it made a great heavy rhythm sound but the lead channel became too quiet to be usable in that case.

Instead I carried an MXR 10-band EQ in the back of the amp I'd use to add my own V-esque shaping to the Lead channel, but bring the overall volume down. That way I could disable the EQ for a slight volume boost for a solo.

I do miss it at times though, it was unique sounding, a bit in between a Mark and other Mesa series.

_________________
Mark V
Studio Preamp
formerly: Quad Preamp, Rocket 44 112


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:51 am 
Offline
Triple Recto

Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:31 am
Posts: 3031
Location: North Carolina
Wow, awesome playing there. The Rocket 44 sounds great too.

_________________
Current amps: TC-100, TC-50, JP-2C, MK V, Roadster, RA100


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:40 am 
Offline
Single Recto
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:32 pm
Posts: 1319
I had a Subway Rocket and liked it, especially the contour mode, but I built a clone of a Princeton Reverb and the clean sound was a lot better than the Subway Rocket. I ended up selling it. I've since bought an Express 5:25 1x10" and it's clean sound is different than the Princeton Reverb, but very good. The 5:25 is a lot mere versatile then the Rocket.
I still miss the contour mode of the Subway Rocket, though!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:20 pm 
Offline
Mark II

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:17 am
Posts: 104
Location: Alkimos, Western Australia
IronSean wrote:
I owned one as a small amp to drag to jams. It was a great little box, 44w with a 12" speaker. Plenty loud, not to heavy, good tones.

My biggest issue (and a big reason why I eventually moved to a Mark V) is that it wasn't quite as flexible live as I'd like:
The Countour Channel was inevitably louder than the Lead, because it boosted the Highs and Lows with probably some mid cut (the GEQ V in a switch). But that also made it impractical, as it made a great heavy rhythm sound but the lead channel became too quiet to be usable in that case.

Instead I carried an MXR 10-band EQ in the back of the amp I'd use to add my own V-esque shaping to the Lead channel, but bring the overall volume down. That way I could disable the EQ for a slight volume boost for a solo.

I do miss it at times though, it was unique sounding, a bit in between a Mark and other Mesa series.


Yes the Contour mode does jump things up a bit. I quite often used it as lead channel for that reason. But using a pedal as booster or an EQ, as you did, is a way to add more options. I used a DS-1 (with all the gain rolled off and volume maxed) as a booster and it worked nicely with the Rocket. Using the Contour as the heavy rhythm tone and then hitting it with a Tubescreamer for lead works well. You can set channels up in a lot of different ways too. The clean channel can be clipped for a light crunch by turning up treble and rolling bass off and then you can roll off your guitar volume to clean it up and then use the other drive sounds for Santana type lead tones. I think if the Contour preset EQ had been a GEQ the amp would have had more tonal control (like doing subtractive EQ tricks as you did with your MXR) but they were built to a price point at the time and still deliver pretty amazing versatility. The speaker emulated output sounds amazing when recorded.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:29 pm 
Offline
Mark II

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:17 am
Posts: 104
Location: Alkimos, Western Australia
Don wrote:
I had a Subway Rocket and liked it, especially the contour mode, but I built a clone of a Princeton Reverb and the clean sound was a lot better than the Subway Rocket. I ended up selling it. I've since bought an Express 5:25 1x10" and it's clean sound is different than the Princeton Reverb, but very good. The 5:25 is a lot mere versatile then the Rocket.
I still miss the contour mode of the Subway Rocket, though!


Yes the clean is not Fender clean. It has more mids and a more immediate response whereas Fenders feel a little spongier to play and you often get the dreamy reverbs too. You can get close to the sound (not the feel) on the Rocket by rolling off most of the mids, turning up highs and adding a nice reverb pedal to the the loop. I have a Twin though so prefer that for cleans but it weighs a lot.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:53 am 
Offline
Single Recto
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:32 pm
Posts: 1319
wildschwein wrote:
Yes the clean is not Fender clean. It has more mids and a more immediate response whereas Fenders feel a little spongier to play and you often get the dreamy reverbs too. You can get close to the sound (not the feel) on the Rocket by rolling off most of the mids, turning up highs and adding a nice reverb pedal to the the loop. I have a Twin though so prefer that for cleans but it weighs a lot.


I should not have said that the Princeton Reverb's clean sound was better. I should have stated that it was my preference. To be honest, when recording and playing quietly, I prefer the Fender's clean sound, but when I'm jamming or gigging and need to be heard, the Mesa amps cut through better.

I put an Eminence Copperhead in my Express 5:25 and that gave it a little bit of the Fender sound that I prefer without losing efficiency. I think that would've worked well with a Subway Rocket as well. I'd like to try that in one!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group