Decision time.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thediavlo

Reaction score
So, I love my mark V a lot especially with the AT7 mod (thanks apeman and bandit) but there is a blue stripe 100 watt in my area that is calling my name. I have always wanted one because man that this is so brutal. I just dont whether I want to sacrifice the versatility of the V for that. But the gain channel on the blue stripe might be that much better. Anyone have experience with both?

Yes but not at the same time. Also my Mark III blue was a Simul-Class version so I never experienced a class A/B amp until I got my hands on the Roadster or RA100. As for a Class A/B Mark series amp, that would have to be the JP-2C.

The lead channel on the Mark III is better. The Mark IV is also better on the lead channel too. From memory if it serves me well or not at all, the Mark III's tone is very close to the JP-2C and since I have the JP, I no longer miss the Mark III. Still, the Simul-Class using the integrated quad of 6L6 and 6CA7 was ideal. You can't to that with the 602/100W version.

Nice. I am just trying to figure out if I want to sacrifice the versatility and power switching for that extremely awesome lead channel. If the lead channel really is just that much better I am gonna pull the trigger.

Let me clarify what I stated..... The Mark III lead channel may be better than the Mark V. I would not necessarily say it is better than that of the JP-2C. So far that has become the standard to which I would compare my other amps, including what memory I may have about the other's I had in my lifetime. I never had a Mark IIC+ so that may change if I had one. However, that being said, before the JP-2C came along, it was the Mark III that I held as a standard tone reference. It is too bad I sold it before I got the Mark V as it would have been great to get a comparison. I did have the Mark IVb (wide body version) at the same time I had the Mark III. Ease of use and overall tone was preferred over having to look up settings to dial in various characteristics with the Mark III so reason that sold first. At the time I sold the amp I was done with playing all together an had no interest to continue. Just after selling the Mark III I had a life changing event such that the guitar was my escape from reality so I got back into it and have not stopped since. Why I stopped in the first place was due to an injury that caused difficulty to play (pain). I was able to push back the pain to play and now I no longer struggle but have lost most of what I was able to do in the past prior to the injury. The Mark III was one amp that once set you leave it there as it is easy to loose that tone you love and may be time consuming to get back especially if you forgot what was set up. Reason why many manuals have templates included showing blank dials and such. This all predates the digital campers that are common in most if not all cell phones. Take a picture and label it. At least the Mark III had numbers on the control dial to reference (not that it really means anything).

In hindsight, the JP-2C is a modern version of the amp that created the big stir in the industry (the limited number of Mark IIC+ which were basically customized and tweaked amps). The Mark III series does share some common ground to the IIC+ and some versions were closer than others to the original circuit. The Blue stripe was an improvement and closer represents the power supply section of the IIC+ and is said to be much brighter than the other iterations (stipe colors in order of release: black, purple, red, blue, green). I am sure there is a recorded historic development of the Mark Series amps online....

bandit2013 said:
Let me clarify what I stated..... The Mark III lead channel may be better than the Mark V. I would not necessarily say it is better than that of the JP-2C. So far that has become the standard to which I would compare my other amps, including what memory I may have about the other's I had in my lifetime. I never had a Mark IIC+ so that may change if I had one. However, that being said, before the JP-2C came along, it was the Mark III that I held as a standard tone reference. It is too bad I sold it before I got the Mark V as it would have been great to get a comparison. I did have the Mark IVb (wide body version) at the same time I had the Mark III. Ease of use and overall tone was preferred over having to look up settings to dial in various characteristics with the Mark III so reason that sold first. At the time I sold the amp I was done with playing all together an had no interest to continue. Just after selling the Mark III I had a life changing event such that the guitar was my escape from reality so I got back into it and have not stopped since. Why I stopped in the first place was due to an injury that caused difficulty to play (pain). I was able to push back the pain to play and now I no longer struggle but have lost most of what I was able to do in the past prior to the injury. The Mark III was one amp that once set you leave it there as it is easy to loose that tone you love and may be time consuming to get back especially if you forgot what was set up. Reason why many manuals have templates included showing blank dials and such. This all predates the digital campers that are common in most if not all cell phones. Take a picture and label it. At least the Mark III had numbers on the control dial to reference (not that it really means anything).

In hindsight, the JP-2C is a modern version of the amp that created the big stir in the industry (the limited number of Mark IIC+ which were basically customized and tweaked amps). The Mark III series does share some common ground to the IIC+ and some versions were closer than others to the original circuit. The Blue stripe was an improvement and closer represents the power supply section of the IIC+ and is said to be much brighter than the other iterations (stipe colors in order of release: black, purple, red, blue, green). I am sure there is a recorded historic development of the Mark Series amps online....

I am sorry to hear that happened to you. If I couldnt play I probably would become suicidal (not joking). As far as the Jp-2c I was hoping to raise the money to get one. They are just so expensive. I got my mark V as a fluke by some guy on craigslist selling it wayyyyy underpriced. I think I am just going to save and get a JP to have as a second amp. I mean having both cant be that bad can it.

thediavlo said:
So, I love my mark V a lot especially with the AT7 mod (thanks apeman and bandit) but there is a blue stripe 100 watt in my area that is calling my name. I have always wanted one because man that this is so brutal. I just dont whether I want to sacrifice the versatility of the V for that. But the gain channel on the blue stripe might be that much better. Anyone have experience with both?

I have them both. No way I would give up my V for a blue stripe. At all.

thediavlo said:
bandit2013 said:

I am sorry to hear that happened to you. If I couldnt play I probably would become suicidal (not joking). As far as the Jp-2c I was hoping to raise the money to get one. They are just so expensive. I got my mark V as a fluke by some guy on craigslist selling it wayyyyy underpriced. I think I am just going to save and get a JP to have as a second amp. I mean having both cant be that bad can it.

If you get injured and it could happen you tend to think "I will try playing later". After a while it just becomes a fading memory. I have tried on several occasions over the 8 years since the injury, 10 minutes was about all I could endure. It was my promise to my wife I made when she was terminally ill in hospital that I started playing the guitar again. She had heard me playing the guitar while I was prepping the Mark III combo as I sold it to a friend I work with, which was one month prior to her passing. I can understand the suicidal comment but it was the guitar that kept me connected to part of the real world while I was struggling with a loss. After she had died, I had no pain in the left arm, perhaps my emotional pain was far greater than the physical pain. There is an explanation why I have so many amps, guitars, basses and two drum sets. I am no musician but it is my therapy as well as a way of filling a void in my life.

So what is it you do not like about the Mark V? Keep in mind that the Mark III may not be what you are expecting it to be. I still love my Mark V even with some of the problems I may have had with it and it does get used quite a lot even though I have the JP-2C, TC-50, two RA100's and a Roadster. Each of the amps have a mood to them. Had I kept the Mark III, that was perfect for blues. It was okay for the heavy stuff but the Mark IV was much better, Mark V was again better and different and the rest is what it is. I would say as a whole the Mark V is quite versatile and does cross many boundaries the other amps do not. Some may do classic rock better (TC-50, RA100 and yes Roadster). All of them fit the heavy metal category (which I think is the JP limit as I have struggled to get a lower gain on CH2 or CH3 since its low end of gain is preset, trick is use guitar volume control or use a volume pedal.) I still feel the JP-2C is the staple tone (or should be at least one of them) for the Boogie sound (mostly the root of what a boogie is). If you are struggling with the V, have you tried other preamp tubes in the amp? Power tubes? They do make a difference. Just as much as the guitar, strings, pickups and position form strings. etc.... If you still want the Mark III, I would recommend not to buy it unless you can actually play though it first. I know on Ebay or Craigs list, reverb, etc... that may not be possible so there is always risk involved. Think about what you want to do and what other things you can try but if you cannot resist that is up to you what you decide to do and when you do it.

dlpasco said:
thediavlo said:

This is coming from a man who has both MK III and Mark V, not to mention the Hotrod IIC+

bandit2013 said:
dlpasco said:
thediavlo said:

This is coming from a man who has both MK III and Mark V, not to mention the Hotrod IIC+

Thanks both of you! I am gonna keep the mark V. Probably wait and see if another boogie comes out in the mark bloodline. I know I saw one in a vid with hetfield. Im very interested in whatever that will be and probably just buy that new. In the mean time I will probably look into getting a TC-50 or mini rectifier.

As for tubes in the five, My sweet spot has been mesa power tubes, Jan Phillips AT7 in the v4 and Ruby AX7's in the rest. Nice and thick tone.

That is exactly what I did, held off for as long as I could and the JP-2C was too hard to resist. Now that is some brutal tone, and to couple it with two Recto Vertical 212 is just unreal.

TC-50 is a nice amp and loads of fun to play though, depends on what mood I am in will dictate what amp gets fired up first. I have been thinking what would be next.... I can wait and see what happens in the near future. I doubt that I would need it though.... unless they can stuff the JP-2C and TC-50 into one amp as those two have to be my favorite amps. I enjoy the Mark V just as much as the others. I have run more tubes than I would admit in the Mark V and thus far a blend of Mesa 12AX7 and Beijing tubes seems to set the bar a bit higher, I finally settled on Mesa 6L6 tubes with the V. Before it was all SED =C= 6L6GC or the TAD 6L6GC-STR tubes. If another Mark amp does come out, and if I get it, I will probably keep the V and JP. Actually having both is far from redundant as they are not identical.

bandit2013 said:
That is exactly what I did, held off for as long as I could and the JP-2C was too hard to resist. Now that is some brutal tone, and to couple it with two Recto Vertical 212 is just unreal.

TC-50 is a nice amp and loads of fun to play though, depends on what mood I am in will dictate what amp gets fired up first. I have been thinking what would be next.... I can wait and see what happens in the near future. I doubt that I would need it though.... unless they can stuff the JP-2C and TC-50 into one amp as those two have to be my favorite amps. I enjoy the Mark V just as much as the others. I have run more tubes than I would admit in the Mark V and thus far a blend of Mesa 12AX7 and Beijing tubes seems to set the bar a bit higher, I finally settled on Mesa 6L6 tubes with the V. Before it was all SED =C= 6L6GC or the TAD 6L6GC-STR tubes. If another Mark amp does come out, and if I get it, I will probably keep the V and JP. Actually having both is far from redundant as they are not identical.

Great! I keep seeing so many good things about the JP and with this conversation it has to mean that the classic boogie grind is there. I think I am just gonna go and get a JP next paycheck. I have been holding off for too long on these. looks like my marshall 4x12 will be dedicated to that and my 2x12 will be for my V. (10 and 45 watt modes for the bedroom :) Very excited to see what this JP has to offer.

you can always troll around in the JP-2C forum. Read what others have felt or say about the amp. I am extremely pleased with what I can get from the amp. But that is my opinion. For all you know I may just like sounds of garbage or brittle glass breaking tone. Note that the JP-2C is not anything close to that by any means. It can be dark and sinister in its bite as well as dialed in a bit brighter. There is a soul of a Roadster in there but then there is far more classic boogie tone of the original IIC+. JP-2C in the tone area sits between the Roadster and the Mark V. If you get one, you may want to de-throne the Mark V from sitting on top of the Vertical 212 cab as to me that is the pinnacle of an ideal cab for the JP-2C. I love it so much I had to get another one so I can run two of them with the JP-2C. Mind you the 412 OS Recto 412 with stock speakers is killer, the Vertical 212 by itself is much better, two of them and it is unbelievable. Yes I do change the settings once in a while on the CH2 or CH3 as I am trying to determine which has more flavor for the tone I am after. It is possible to dial in tones you can get from the Mark V (including the Mark 1 voice) as well as matching the Roadster modern with the JP-2C but it is more difficult to match the JP-2C with the other two amps if that makes any sense. It is more of a feel thing, and not just the perception of "guitar feel" as it is physical thump in the chest from a blast of air pressure change. I cannot put into words that best describes my experience with the JP-2C as I am still trying to close my mouth after the jaw drop :shock: Mind you at first I thought the JP-2C was a bit lame when I got it out of the box and plugged it in for the first time. Read the manual.... that will explain a few things on how controls interact with each other. On the second day I was rewarded with what I was hoping the amp to be and since then it has become far more than I ever expected. Same would apply to the TC-50. I had quite the opposite with the Mark V, it was from the start what I expected but slowly became less than what I wanted. I still like the V for what it is and is not.

bandit2013 said:
you can always troll around in the JP-2C forum. Read what others have felt or say about the amp. I am extremely pleased with what I can get from the amp. But that is my opinion. For all you know I may just like sounds of garbage or brittle glass breaking tone. Note that the JP-2C is not anything close to that by any means. It can be dark and sinister in its bite as well as dialed in a bit brighter. There is a soul of a Roadster in there but then there is far more classic boogie tone of the original IIC+. JP-2C in the tone area sits between the Roadster and the Mark V. If you get one, you may want to de-throne the Mark V from sitting on top of the Vertical 212 cab as to me that is the pinnacle of an ideal cab for the JP-2C. I love it so much I had to get another one so I can run two of them with the JP-2C. Mind you the 412 OS Recto 412 with stock speakers is killer, the Vertical 212 by itself is much better, two of them and it is unbelievable. Yes I do change the settings once in a while on the CH2 or CH3 as I am trying to determine which has more flavor for the tone I am after. It is possible to dial in tones you can get from the Mark V (including the Mark 1 voice) as well as matching the Roadster modern with the JP-2C but it is more difficult to match the JP-2C with the other two amps if that makes any sense. It is more of a feel thing, and not just the perception of "guitar feel" as it is physical thump in the chest from a blast of air pressure change. I cannot put into words that best describes my experience with the JP-2C as I am still trying to close my mouth after the jaw drop :shock: Mind you at first I thought the JP-2C was a bit lame when I got it out of the box and plugged it in for the first time. Read the manual.... that will explain a few things on how controls interact with each other. On the second day I was rewarded with what I was hoping the amp to be and since then it has become far more than I ever expected. Same would apply to the TC-50. I had quite the opposite with the Mark V, it was from the start what I expected but slowly became less than what I wanted. I still like the V for what it is and is not.

cool! Im not opposed to dialing in an amp, there is a shop 5 minutes from my work where i will go dial in a tone and get a feel for it, then probably take it home and tweak it to my preference, as long as I can get a good, boogie + EMG thrash tone I should be fine, my band is very influenced by late thrash like or more prog thrash like And Justice for All so I was looking for more of that JP scoop or Metallica live seattle 1989 sound. I think this should get me where i need to be. I will keep you up to date with what I think about it. :)

If you have a local Mesa dealer that is perfect. Not too many near me so I bought the JP-2C based on what I heard in recordings. This one in particular had me sold..... I may not understand German, but the amp sounds just as good in reality as it does I the video if not better.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=jp-2c+video+review&view=detail&mid=B5EC063E3CD36E0CD777B5EC063E3CD36E0CD777&FORM=VIRE

bandit2013 said:
If you have a local Mesa dealer that is perfect. Not too many near me so I bought the JP-2C based on what I heard in recordings. This one in particular had me sold..... I may not understand German, but the amp sounds just as good in reality as it does I the video if not better.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=jp-2c+video+review&view=detail&mid=B5EC063E3CD36E0CD777B5EC063E3CD36E0CD777&FORM=VIRE

So I wound up selling some old gaming equiptment, (I used to play professionally) so I could buy the Mk III and I just go it in. Holy balls this thing is raw. It almost has more gain than I can handle. Been playing it through a Diezel 4x12 and Daisy Chaining it to my MK V. What a wild sounding lead tone.

I had looked at Mesa's web site for the user manual, you can find it in the support link. I see they have made some changes to the manual such that they recommend the use of 6L6GC and EL34 (6CA7) at all times. Running a quad of 6L6 seems to end up in reduced tube life. Actually I never ran a quad of 6L6 tubes until I sold it but liked the 6L6 with the EL34 much better. You can even do that with a Mark IV but you cannot do that with the Mark V.

bandit2013 said:
I had looked at Mesa's web site for the user manual, you can find it in the support link. I see they have made some changes to the manual such that they recommend the use of 6L6GC and EL34 (6CA7) at all times. Running a quad of 6L6 seems to end up in reduced tube life. Actually I never ran a quad of 6L6 tubes until I sold it but liked the 6L6 with the EL34 much better. You can even do that with a Mark IV but you cannot do that with the Mark V.

Yup thats what i got in there right now. Loving it paired with the mark v, and on its own.

Latest posts

Back