Speakers stuck to baffle?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikegguitars

Reaction score
I have a 2002 RoadKing cab and the EV speakers are like stuck to the baffle and I cannot remove them easily, ideas?

The paper gaskets will stick like glue if they were rear mounted. You will have to carefully pry around the speaker If there is room for a flat blade scraper you can use that to tap around the frame lightly with a hammer. The trick is to keep the paper gasket intact to the speaker. Even the original V30's I remove from my old OS Recto required additional help as the foam gasket sealed quite well (black paint may not have been fully cured when the speakers were mounted. If someone else has a better suggestion I would like to know the tricks to remove stuck speakers. Not sure if a heat gun would work at a low setting but keep in mind it may soften the glue that holds the web to the frame.

Do not tap on the magnet as that may cause damage.

What I have used was a wide blade 1" chisel and a hammer but not striking too hard. When that EV gasket sticks it will tear.
That butter knife may help too. I have assembled speakers with rubber sealing tap. After that removal I will never do that again. I wonder of 'Saran wrap' would work on the baffle board, place a layer down over sized, cut out the hole in the center, mount speaker and then remove excess wrap. I have not tried this but may prevent the hard to remove speaker when you want to change or replace it (keeping that paper gasket intact). In a 412 cab, rear mounting is the only method due to the grill clearance you have between baffle and grill (depends on what speaker you are mounting too).

Back