The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:47 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Hello
I was hoping someone out there would have an opinion on finding a John Sykes tone with my
Heartbreaker. I'm speaking specifically Thin Lizzy John Sykes ( Thunder and Lightning era) and solo recordings. I'm aware in Lizzy he used Marshall's, but used Boogies later to get a similar, if not higher gain tone. John used 2 Mesa Boogie Coliseum heads, these amps have a Mark III pre-amp section but use six 6L6 power tubes from what I've read (I am also using 6L6's in my Heartbreaker) he also used Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+'s, Mark III's. If you would have any suggestion of what settings would approximate his, it'd be appreciated
Also I would like do this without adding any pedal to the signal chain.

Thank you

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:35 am 
Donating Member

JohnFox wrote:
Hello
I was hoping someone out there would have an opinion on finding a John Sykes tone with my
Heartbreaker. I'm speaking specifically Thin Lizzy John Sykes ( Thunder and Lightning era) and solo recordings. I'm aware in Lizzy he used Marshall's, but used Boogies later to get a similar, if not higher gain tone. John used 2 Mesa Boogie Coliseum heads, these amps have a Mark III pre-amp section but use six 6L6 power tubes from what I've read (I am also using 6L6's in my Heartbreaker) he also used Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+'s, Mark III's. If you would have any suggestion of what settings would approximate his, it'd be appreciated
Also I would like do this without adding any pedal to the signal chain.

Thank you

Have you tried EL34's? Here's a link to Heartbreaker demo using El34's. He also does a brief run through of the settings. The heartbreaker has a fairly steep learning curve. I wish I could be more help but I've not spent the time to fully utilize its capabilities. Hopefully something on this demo (probably last 3 or 4 minutes) will bring you closer to the sound you're looking for.

https://youtu.be/cZeQHaAMKyc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:55 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Hey Buster Leggs, Thanks for replying :)
I kind of would like to stick to the 6L6's in there ( its a hold over from playing a '76 Twin for so many years)
I watched the whole video front to back, and it is a good general starting point for sure. If anyone eles has any other thoughts it's be appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:01 pm 
Mark II

One of the biggest guitar sounds I've ever heard. Massive harmonic content. This is Blue Murder in '89. He's using Marshall here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsXr43nBCdc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:38 pm 
Bottle Rocket

wildschwein wrote:
One of the biggest guitar sounds I've ever heard. Massive harmonic content. This is Blue Murder in '89. He's using Marshall here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsXr43nBCdc

I know he's gotten the same kind of sound from his Boogies, now just to find a way to get my Heartbreaker to match it, any suggestions anyone?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:58 pm 
Donating Member

JohnFox wrote:
I kind of would like to stick to the 6L6's in there ( its a hold over from playing a '76 Twin for so many years)
I watched the whole video front to back, and it is a good general starting point for sure. If anyone eles has any other thoughts it's be appreciated.

I hear ya I'm fond of 6L6's myself, just not in the heartbreaker . I think the closest you'll get to that John Sykes in Thin Lizzy sound is with el34 s. The heartbreaker is somewhat dark. I don't see that tone happening with setting adjustments. I have heard some mods to the heartbreaker that took it to a whole new level. Experimenting with speaker changes would also take it to a different place. Here's a clip of John Sykes doing Still of the Night in 95. Does anybody know what he's using here? I'm guessing Mark 3 coliseum's but I could be wrong. Either way I love that tone. I heard a modded Heartbreaker that was closer to this John Sykes tone in 95 then a stock Heartbreaker. Anyway good luck on your tone Quest the link below is the version of Still of the Night.
https://youtu.be/cWn_p0jxGMs

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:25 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Buster Leggs wrote:
JohnFox wrote:

I hear ya I'm fond of 6L6's myself, just not in the heartbreaker . I think the closest you'll get to that John Sykes in Thin Lizzy sound is with el34 s. The heartbreaker is somewhat dark. I don't see that tone happening with setting adjustments. I have heard some mods to the heartbreaker that took it to a whole new level. Experimenting with speaker changes would also take it to a different place. Here's a clip of John Sykes doing Still of the Night in 95. Does anybody know what he's using here? I'm guessing Mark 3 coliseum's but I could be wrong. Either way I love that tone. I heard a modded Heartbreaker that was closer to this John Sykes tone in 95 then a stock Heartbreaker. Anyway good luck on your tone Quest the link below is the version of Still of the Night.

appreciate the info and input Buster, maybe i go a different route and try a treble booster ( ala Rory Gallager) or even a tube driver ( BK Butler style)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:22 am 
Mark II

Buster Leggs wrote:
JohnFox wrote:

I see Mesa cabs in this vid -- can't see the heads/racks though. Another tool in his signal path is the Gibson Dirty Fingers pickup in the bridge. These were wound to about 20k and hit the front end very hard.

Last edited by wildschwein on Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:46 am 
Bottle Rocket

wildschwein wrote:
Buster Leggs wrote:
JohnFox wrote:

I see Mesa cabs in this vid -- can't see the heads/racks though. Another tool in his signal path is the Gibson Dirty Fingers pickup in the bridge. These were wound to about 20-20k and hit the front end very hard.
I'm using a DiMarzio Steve Morse in the bridge which is a pretty hot pickup, so I think i got that end covered pretty good
:)