Organic Timbre

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnoel64

Reaction score
Recently learned about this speaker. Only available in 8 ohms at present, and is the only product this company makes and sells. I know videos aren't the best way to evaluate a speaker, but this one seems pretty impressive. Anyone have one of these?

http://www.organictimbre.com/store/p1/Rhapsody_G12F.html

jnoel64 said:
Recently learned about this speaker. Only available in 8 ohms at present, and is the only product this company makes and sells. I know videos aren't the best way to evaluate a speaker, but this one seems pretty impressive. Anyone have one of these?

http://www.organictimbre.com/store/p1/Rhapsody_G12F.html

hmm sounds like it would go really well with a mark series amp to me.

May have to get one of these for the Mark V combo. I already have the combo opened up for front mounting and grill mod so it would just drop in.

Complaint about the EVM12L Black Label in the combo, too flat. I sort of prefer the Celestion Redback at the moment (after it has gone though some break in) I do have the same speakers in my old Recto 412 cab (seems to sound better in closed back format).

Thanks for the reference Jeff. I ordered one just for fun. If it falls between the EVM12L Black Label and the Celestion Redback I will be happy. EV is sterile as described, may sound great in a sealed 412 being pushed by the Roadster or the JP-2C but seems to lack what I desire for use in the Mark V combo. Redback sounds great too but colors the tone more than expected (more vintage tone) but when the volume goes up to gig level it sounds great. I ran both EV and Redback at the same time an noted the EV was much louder (EV in 1x12 extension cab, Redback in Mark V combo). Why not go for it, right? Once I get it in the Mark V combo I will definitely write a review or at least comment on my experience.

My EVM is in an open back 1x12 and it sounds HUGE. I've discovered I prefer open back or partially open back cabs in general. The only trick is to keep the bottom end tight, which is somewhat difficult with open backs. Very interested in theses Organic Timbres. But, I will have to wait a while before I can try one myself.

I got the speaker today, opened up the box and it looks very similar to the EV right down to the paper cone and dust cap with some respects. The magnet is quite different as is the spider material. The Basket is also slightly different and not made by the same casting (does not match the EVs I have but very close though). I am eager to find out how it sounds... but will have to wait until Saturday before I can get to it. Also want to get a good capture of the Red Back first before that comes out. In looks, the magnet appears like an MC90 or V30 but thicker, the diameter appears a bit smaller than the EV magnet which would allow for some clearance but the length of the magnet may pose some issue (reason for front mounting the EV and same reason for this one too).

I posted in another thread three of the 2.5 inch speakers recorded using each mounted in a Mark V combo. Redback vs EV vs Organic Timbre

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=74036

Since I now have one of these mounted in my Mark V combo. I had to try the JP-2C through it. WOW! That was amazing! I am now tempted to get a Mesa widebody 1x12, toss the MC90 and install the Organic Timbre Rhapsody G12F into it. I have tried the same when I had the EVM12L black label speaker as well as the Celestion Red back installed in the Mark V combo. Those are okay with the JP but the OTR is way better!

Thanks for the reference to this speaker jnoel64 as I would never have known of its existence. :p So far it has been rewarding experience. If Mesa ever decided to make a 1x12 combo version of the JP-2C, the OTR would be a good match to the amp. Tempting to upgrade my old OS Recto and install the OTR in place of the EV I have in there now.

Next I will have to give the Roadster a shot with the OTR. May as well try it with the RA100 too while I am at it. TC-50 was okay but I prefer the V30 in the Vertical 212 with that amp. I will suspect the same with the RA100 but worth trying out.

Too bad they do not have this speaker in a 16ohm format. Currently it is only available in an 8ohm impedance. Great for 412 and single Mark series combo's that have lots of power on tap. Too bad I no longer have the Mark III combo as it would be cool to compare the Black Shadow EVM12L speaker to it.

Note that the magnet appears similar to the MC90 in design so if Mesa wanted to partner or just buy the OTR you could always use a different label on it. For a Mark amp 60W+ it is definitely a good choice. Not sure how the EL84 based Mark amps would sound as I do not have one to try out.

The more I play through the speaker the better it sounds. The JP-2C helped to break it in a bit and now it has blown my mind completely with the Mark V combo. Now I have no doubt I would ever sell the Mark V. It is Perfect on all counts. (note that it will take some effort to mount in the preferred method, front mount vs rear mount).

I am definitely getting two more to add to my OS Recto 412 cab to run with a pair of EV black label speakers as those do run a bit higher on the top end and basically have the same bottom end response. Actually the OTR seem a bit tighter but may be due to stiffness of the suspension of the voice coil. The speaker is definitely waking up. Also sounds good with the 10W setting. Have not tried the Roadster though it yet or the RA100. I am also considering getting a 1x12 cab so I can down size the JP-2C (are you kidding, this speaker is loud when you want it to be). I actually like just the one OTR over the Vertical 212 cab. Wonder what it sounds like running both....

Had to order another one and a cab to go with it so I can use it with the JP-2C or with the Mark V. I was able to find a Mesa 1x12 widebody open back cab at the Mesa Hollywood store. No success though the usual channels. I may eventually get a closed back (the one with the port but not the Thiele) to go with it for the EV speaker (based on the description on the closed back, it has the mids tuned out which would work with the EV as it has no mids to start with). The OTR has become a disease in my mind and I want more....... :roll: :shock: **** does that speaker sound great..... Never thought I would get this excited over something so trivial. I am surprised there are no others trolling the site commenting on this if they have one. It is a good quality speaker and if the statement is true "made in USA" that would be even better. EV is no longer made in USA. I have one and the rest were "MIM"s (made in Mexico). Actually what matters most, regardless of its origin, is how it sounds and performs.

If I go as planned I will have a few extra MC90's sitting around.... wonder what they sound like in a closed back 412 cab. I will try not to go overboard here... Just the one cabinet for now.

Things did not go as planned. I did try a 1x12 open back Mesa wide body cab with the OTR mounted in it. Actually thought the MC90 sounded better in that cab in particular so I will be swapping the MC90 back in. Actually it did sound good with the JP-2C but not as good as the Vertical 212 cab. I guess the next step once I remove both OTRs (one from the cab and the other from the Mark V combo) is to try the pair in a 412 cab I have EVs mounted in it already. At least I will gain some midrange where the EV is lacking. Open back vs closed back may be a big difference. My ears are killing me at the moment so will have to wait for them to return to normal before I start removing speakers as it may just be ear fatigue. It was worth a try but I think I favor the Redback in the Mark V combo more than the OTR as I was getting more bottom end from that speaker and it is fully broken in too. Never run a vertical or horizontal 212 cab when comparing open back cabs and speaker combinations as you will loose satisfaction. The Vertical or Horizontal cabs will win every time. Reason I will not remove any of the V30s in either of them as it is a good match for the cabinet.

Dang it.... never chase the speaker balloon with ear fatigue. Just swapped out the OTR in the combo with the Red back and now I am going back to the OTR, again. Overall it is a better speaker for the combo. I am also keeping it in the 1x12 extension cab too. Still have plans on a second Vertical 212 cab though as that was the best combination with the JP-2C. Blending the vertical 212 with the OTR in the 1x12 extension cab is also a mind blowing experience. Still having two of the vertical 212 cabs would be ideal if I can get the same tone and grinding character with two Vertical 212 as I can get with one Vert and one horizontal cab. It is only time and trouble of swapping the speaker in the combo that is knee buster.

Well duh! :oops: I realized what was going on here. I had the extension cabinet raised off the floor on top of the Mesa Vertical 212 cab. I am also sitting down in front of the amp. It is simple physics at play here. Sitting with the speaker at center in your face as it was the case, the full brunt of top end and upper mids will be at the focal point of you listening displeasure. Off axis just a bit and the bottom end just melts you worries away. One reason why the Mesa Horizontal cab sounds so deep (the acoustic cavity has a role in this too) the center point of the speaker never hits you in the face as it remains low. As for the case with the Mark V, I leave that on the floor but I had that raised on top of another 1x12 cab. That really makes a difference in perspective.

Beaming effect, prone to the V30 as it is with many other speakers if not all of them. Exception to this was the Fane Studio 12L, the closer you got to the speaker the softer it sounded. That one speaker really projected it voice and got louder at a distance. That is one freaky speaker and I did not notice any beaming at the center point either. The EV also has its woes with beaming effect but it is not as dominant due to the flat frequency response but the top end will get you if you sit too close. Probably another point when it comes to the 412 cabs is distance from the cabinet to your relative position.

So the Organic Timbre Rhapsody stays put in both the Mark V combo and the 1x12 open back extension cab. I was playing the JP-2C quite loud again but this time I remained off axis like I normally do, that was kick *** awesome. I still like the vertical 212 cab and may get another one just to have it as I do like to run both the TC-50 and JP-2C at the same time to blend the two amp characteristic as that creates a unique tone all to itself. Running the 212 with the 112 OTR just adds another layer to the mix. I can also get the top end ouch if I am too close to the vertical 212 cab.

At least my ears are no longer ringing.... :shock:

I wish they made a 16 ohm version of this speaker. Running a pair of those would be amazing. I'm just not all that keen on a 4 ohm 2x12 cab. But....it may come to that. Would you pair the OTR with any other speaker?

I like it by itself actually. Also I do not plan on opening up my 212 cabs for a speaker swap as those are ideal as they are.
Not exactly sure how the EV and OTR will behave in a common cab. I basically jumped on them for Combo or 1x12 cab use.

Since I have decided to get another Vertical 212 to use with the JP-2C, I have not abandoned the OTR speaker. It has good qualities to it. Last night I spent most of the evening running the Mark V combo paired with the 1x12 open back wide body cab that I mounted the other OTR speaker. The two speakers add the depth the Mark V is lacking and since the amp is still bright even with the 12AT7 installed (V4 and V6) it sounds great with the OTR. I used to do the same with the EV speakers when I had one loaded in the Mark V but I generally used CH2 crunch most of the time. I like having a satellite speaker so I can move it into different positions in the room to get more spread or separation between the cabs. I did try the Mark V on top of the 1x12 but the cab is a bit narrow in its footprint and seemed unstable on the carpet (may have too much padding) that I did not want to risk leaving it that way in case it would fall over on the dog. On a hardwood floor no problem. That extension cab definitely adds the punch to the mix. The JP-2C on the other hand sounds great but seems a bit dark in tone when using the single 112 cab. Although as an accent with the 212 I gain a bit more fullness in the tonal spectrum.

How would it sound an a sealed 412, **** is that tempting. If the speaker was available in a 16 ohm format I would probably consider a speaker swap in one of the 212 cabs. I believe there would be more of a benefit in the 412 cab than the 212 as those are on the dark side of the spectrum. the 412's (depending on the speaker) seem a bit overly bright when pushing the envelope (V30) or just sounds like something is missing (EV). Perhaps some day I will get to more to pair with the EV in the one OS Recto cab, but that will have to wait.

However, the 1x12 open back widebody Mesa cab along with the Mark V combo each with the OTR speaker is just kick ***. I got used to the speaker while using the 12AT7 in V4, and on for a short term in V6, now all preamp tubes are 12AX7 and the Mark V never sounded better. This speaker actually kept the Mark V off of the "for sale, used amp" list. I am loving the V more and more every day such that it is getting more use than the JP-2C. For me this was the best mod I have ever done and perhaps removal of C39 was a help. You can really drive these speakers hard and push the bass up a bit more than you could with the V30 or MC90. The single 1x12 cab will work with the JP-2C but the Mark V is a definite yes and would recommend this speaker for specific use in a Mark V combo or extension cab. It will sound a bit dull from the start out of the box but does not take long to loosen things up. The highs will bleed out eventually as well as midrange swell near the end of the break in period. Thanks for the suggestion Jnoel64!

Forget the EV, I may eventually get 4 more and rebuild my OS Recto cab. Will have to hear the Roadster though the OTR first before I decide on it.

Thank you for taking the plunge, Bandit! I will eventually wind up with at least one of these. I just have to wait until after the first of the year, but it will happen.

bandit2013 said:
However, the 1x12 open back widebody Mesa cab along with the Mark V combo each with the OTR speaker is just kick ***. I got used to the speaker while using the 12AT7 in V4, and on for a short term in V6, now all preamp tubes are 12AX7 and the Mark V never sounded better. This speaker actually kept the Mark V off of the "for sale, used amp" list. I am loving the V more and more every day such that it is getting more use than the JP-2C. For me this was the best mod I have ever done and perhaps removal of C39 was a help. You can really drive these speakers hard and push the bass up a bit more than you could with the V30 or MC90. The single 1x12 cab will work with the JP-2C but the Mark V is a definite yes and would recommend this speaker for specific use in a Mark V combo or extension cab. It will sound a bit dull from the start out of the box but does not take long to loosen things up. The highs will bleed out eventually as well as midrange swell near the end of the break in period. Thanks for the suggestion Jnoel64!

Forget the EV, I may eventually get 4 more and rebuild my OS Recto cab. Will have to hear the Roadster though the OTR first before I decide on it.

Dang dude you really love this speaker that much with the V?

If you wouldnt mind I would love to hear what it sounds like now that its broken in.

Back