Mesa roadking for Eric Clapton tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nault.jama

Reaction score
Tomorow, i will try to get close to EC solo and rythm tone with my Roadking 2. Will let you know what i come up with. But while im working on it, do you have any suggestion for settinngs and where to start?

Got to say its much harder than i thought. Dialing a nice clean is easy enought. Getting the level and kind of saturation that hes got when soloing is though to dial in. I tried using an OD but thats not it. Will keep searching, and if you guys have ideas please share them.

Ok i think im getting very close with the following;

Spongy

Recto tracking

Channel 1

Clean

El 34

Gain max, treble 12 oclock, mid 11 oclock, bass 9 oclock and presence at 12 but might depend on pick ups.

Effect loop off so volume to taste.

I would have like to exange with some people but i believe this place is becoming a little dead. Forum look old and need a good tune up.

I would think the tweed and brit settings on the first two channels would help you get close to most of his tones. If you need more gain, go with raw on channel 3. For his newer tones, bear in mind that he has an on board mid boost. Cranking the mids on channel 4 in the raw or vintage setting will help get you close. His late 80s Soldano and Lace Sensor era tones should be the easiest ones to nail with a recto.

Yeah I know what you mean. I was trying those settingings( channel 3 and 4 raw) and thought that the low frequency were too present. It could be because I didn't crank it enough though. It's pretty hard to have a nice light distortion that's got enough to saturation as well.

So I decided to give channel 3 another try. So still using el34, Raw, mids almost all the way, no trebles at all, bass on 9 o'clock and gain at 1 o'clock . Spongy recto tracking, and reverb 10 o'clock.

Those settings were very impressive. Probably the closest I'll ever be and something I didn't expect is how well it cleaned up when rolling back the volume. I think to get even closer that this, I will have to buy a stratocaster. Right now I'm using humbucker so the tone differ for sure, but it's convincing enough.

Latest posts

Back