Mark V (AT7) vs JP2C video

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thaymz

Reaction score
Hi All

I managed to get some time to put together an AB video of the mark V Channel 3 (all modes) against the JP2C.

As previously highlighted by some compare threads on here, to me the JP seems to have the best qualities of each of the modes and has a bigger sound with more authority. They are by no means night and day (at least definitely not after the AT7 tube swap). I actually really like the depth, harmonics and articulation in the V c+ mode. Hopefully anyone considering either of these amps finds this video helpful.

Link
https://youtu.be/UtCTPorL93g

Things to note:

Mark V: has the Jan Philips AT7 tube in V4
Poweramp: Both amps running through V Power amp (45w, variac, triode)
JP2C: Gain pushed
JP2C: Shred not engaged
JP2C: Presence controls bypassed due to using V poweramp
GEQ: Both not engaged
Cab: Mesa 2x12 Vertical Rectifier
Mic: Shure SM57
No post processing or EQ

Excuse the playing, vid is only attempting to show the subtle differences in tone. Important to highlight, the bass that makes the JP sound thicker is easily attainable with GEQ. These recordings were same cab, same mic placement. A different mic placement could make both of these recordings sound both terrible or incredible by moving only a couple inches.

Thanks for the video. For some reason I prefer the Mark V here.

So the JP2C had no EQ at all ?

Yep, both had no EQ.

The AT7 in V4 really does wonders to the gain structure of the V. In a lot of ways, I prefer the V, but the JP just feels easier to play and more fluid because of the added gain and internal volume.

To be fair to the JP, the way I have them set up bypasses the presence control entirely. So it's lacking a bit of sizzle as a result. The sizzle brings the 3D harmonic depth.

Both sounded great without the 5BEQ in use. Nice video. You should also include a Mark V without the 12AT7 mod.

I have both JP-2C (not the autographed version, that one just looks killer) and the Mark V but converted mine to a combo and stuffed an EV into it.

the V4 =12AT7 does the trick with the Mark V and closes the gap between the Mark V: CH3 tonal differences and the JP-2C. What power tube setting was used for CH3: Pentode or Triode? If you had CH3 chosen even if you were using the Mark V as a Slave, the pentode/triode as well as presence for the channel would have been effective when using the JP-2C as the master. This may work on hearing the differences between the preamp stages. That is one way to compare the amps. I would agree though that pushing air from the power section of each amp does make a difference vs using one as a slave.

I still prefer the JP-2C over the Mark V for some styles of music. However there is a bit more versatility on the Mark V if hat is your bag. Both are awesome amps to have.

bandit2013 said:
Both sounded great without the 5BEQ in use. Nice video. You should also include a Mark V without the 12AT7 mod.

I have both JP-2C (not the autographed version, that one just looks killer) and the Mark V but converted mine to a combo and stuffed an EV into it.

the V4 =12AT7 does the trick with the Mark V and closes the gap between the Mark V: CH3 tonal differences and the JP-2C. What power tube setting was used for CH3: Pentode or Triode? If you had CH3 chosen even if you were using the Mark V as a Slave, the pentode/triode as well as presence for the channel would have been effective when using the JP-2C as the master. This may work on hearing the differences between the preamp stages. That is one way to compare the amps. I would agree though that pushing air from the power section of each amp does make a difference vs using one as a slave.

I still prefer the JP-2C over the Mark V for some styles of music. However there is a bit more versatility on the Mark V if hat is your bag. Both are awesome amps to have.

Thanks Bandit. For whatever I've grown accustomed to not using the GEQ on either of the amps. The power section was set to triode. Changing the pre tubes is a pain so i prob won't ever change back, From my end I didn't really get ice pick it's just that with the AT7 the tone is just so 3D. I was about to add the Channel 2 Crunch in there for comparison as it's a drier version of JP channel 2. I've never really had experience slaving so I'd have to look into how it works. Strangely enough, the JP preamp tone was just very slightly coloured by the V's mode switch.

Mine's setup in the 7CM dual head axe fx setup so i didn't need to change any cables. Despite the 7 in the setup there's about another hundred going to attenuator, interface, speaker, footwitches etc. when I get more time I'll run a compare with their own power section. I do love the LE. Mesmerised by the flame on a daily basis. What a colour.

APEMAN said:
Great video! On my V I prefer the bright switch set to normal over the bright position because I feel it is cutting some low end and introducing a small level of 'unharmonical dirt'. I only set this switch to bright when using a heavy stringed instrument like my baritone guitar.

You choosed to play the amp in 45W Diode Variac - with Mesa 6L6 tubes this was one of my favourite settings as well (with 8Ohm speaker connected to the 4Ohm output to make it a perfect match). But when I changed my poweramp to TAD 6L6s I realized how much more I like the 90W setting. I thought the issue I had before the change came from me not liking the simul-class setting but I was wrong. I prefered the 45W setting because it offers the highest possible bias. The standard 6L6s are biased very cold. The TAD 6L6s compensate this and the amp sounds so much more open, smoother and bigger. If you have the chance to try those tubes, I highly recommend it :)

Cheers!

You are right, 45 / Triode / Variac. I was thinking of my crunch settings when I initially typed that. Thanks buddy. I'll definitely check out other tubes. Pre tubes are a bit of a pain so I'll probably stick with these but the easy access for power tubes might get me experimenting a bit more.

Also, this was recorded using passive Dimarzio evolution bridge pickups. This is generally a decrease of about 6DB of signal when compared to actives like EMGs. Results in slightly less gain and sustain.

Back