Road ready 1x12 Thiele - screws to use for mounting speaker?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bean7

Reaction score
I acquired an old (90s) Road ready 1x12 Thiele cab, in which someone had replaced the speaker with a Celestion V30 using 4 random looking screws (slightly chunkier looking, looks like they'd enlarged the original screw holes a bit) - these are screws directly into the baffle, no nuts/bolts/t-nuts.

I'd like to get an EVM-12L for this cab to get it back as close to original spec as possible - and would like to just stick with the original mounting method using screws since the cab itself doesn't look too easy to get the back off so could be problematic trying to use t-nuts.

Just wondering what screws would be best to use, if anything would do that looks close enough to the original size (and what is the original size)?

Appreciate any advice with this.

I would use #10-32 mounting screws,

Use inserts instead of t-nuts. Its possible these would still work on the "enlarged" holes. You should be able to find these at Ace Hardware as well as Home Depot.
51oWXcNltcL._SS135_.jpg

If you can remove the front cover, generally speaking, EVs are usually mounted on the front of the baffle. they can be rear mounted too but you will need long screws. I use #10-32 screws with nylon lock nuts. Oversized washers to prevent wood compression on the nut side. That is about the size that will fit the mounting holes. I think a #12 screw may fit but have not tried a screw that large in diameter.

I would avoid using T-nuts as they usually require a much larger hole (may not be enough clearance if the baffle hole is large enough to drop in the EV from the front. Also they tent to rip out the wood, not very suitable). The threaded insert will work too.

Latest posts

Back