Another Mark V:35 "Is It Loud Enough?" Thread

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack s.

Reaction score
So I am in a very loud hard rock group with another guitar player and a keys player. To give you some bearings, when I use amps at rehearsal facilities I've used a 60 watt Fender Deville 2/12 combo, and a 50 watt Marshall JCM 900 half-stack. I don't know what speakers where in the cab for the Marshall.....I asssume they were Celestion 75 watters. The Marshall was set up so the preamp broke up just a little bit. The master volume was set to about 6. For the Fender, the preamp was set clean, and the volume was about 2 1/2. I was using a JHS Angry Charlie for distortion. For this act a need something with more of a mid-scooped metal sound, and none of my current amps offer that, so at some point I need to purchase something new. The Angry Charlie doesn't really pull that tone off either (although it is a very nice sounding pedal). I live in NYC, so I need something that I can carry with one arm when making one trip to and from a cab to music venues with my guitar in my other hand, so the combo would need to be 50 lbs or less. I don't like the idea of making multiple trips from a cab and leaving gear on the sidewalk, so a head/cab setup isn't realistic. I generally put pedals in my backpack. I also need an amp that is plenty loud enough to solo on top of the mix of the group. The Mark V:35 combo seems to fit the bill perfectly in terms of tone and features. I'm worried that it won't be loud enough though. Admittedly I have not tried one out in person yet. I tried a Mark V a few years ago and really liked the tone though. Please let me know what you guys think.

jack s. said:
So I am in a very loud hard rock group with another guitar player and a keys player. To give you some bearings, when I use amps at rehearsal facilities I've used a 60 watt Fender Deville 2/12 combo, and a 50 watt Marshall JCM 900 half-stack. I don't know what speakers where in the cab for the Marshall.....I asssume they were Celestion 75 watters. The Marshall was set up so the preamp broke up just a little bit. The master volume was set to about 6. For the Fender, the preamp was set clean, and the volume was about 2 1/2. I was using a JHS Angry Charlie for distortion. For this act a need something with more of a mid-scooped metal sound, and none of my current amps offer that, so at some point I need to purchase something new. The Angry Charlie doesn't really pull that tone off either (although it is a very nice sounding pedal). I live in NYC, so I need something that I can carry with one arm when making one trip to and from a cab to music venues with my guitar in my other hand, so the combo would need to be 50 lbs or less. I don't like the idea of making multiple trips from a cab and leaving gear on the sidewalk, so a head/cab setup isn't realistic. I generally put pedals in my backpack. I also need an amp that is plenty loud enough to solo on top of the mix of the group. The Mark V:35 combo seems to fit the bill perfectly in terms of tone and features. I'm worried that it won't be loud enough though. Admittedly I have not tried one out in person yet. I tried a Mark V a few years ago and really liked the tone though. Please let me know what you guys think.

I would like to know about this as well. Anybody?

Yes, it will be loud enough.

I myself can't see a situation where the Mark 35 wouldn't be more than adequate. Stage volume is so stupid quiet now-a-days it sucks. If you're playing in front of more than 30 people, the sound guy will put you through the P.A. anyway. I was using a Mark 25 and it was plenty so the 35 will definitely be loud enough.

Yes the 25 absolutely roars.
The 35 being more of the same as that, definitely should do the trick.
Just keep that middle slider above the bottom line. How far above it..? Up to you of course.
Just that you could get the 90w amp in there and disappear in a mix if you dial/sliders it wrong.
More you take out of the 750hz, more you compensate with the two sliders either side, boosting them a little.

A cranked, well dialled 35w Mark series Boogie would be confused with 100w other makes of amps.
The 25 is devastaingly loud and big sounding not just for for what it is, but in its own right.

Ok that is good to hear. Could always run into one of my extension cabs of course too for an outdoor gig. I tried one out....very nice sounding amp.

Back