Mesa Triaxis (V2, TX4D)
Mesa Simul-class 2:90 (V1)
TC G Major 2
TC 1128
Marshall 1912

Post subject: Re: Mesa Rosette
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:45 am 
Mark I

Always tempted with "Mesa" on the front!

Looks really great but I already have Fishman Artist for my piezo needs so I am not sure I could drop the cash for this. Maybe after my Mark V purchase.

Needs a 3rd channel called "Extreme Acoustic" :lol:

On second thought, I move to Florida in 1 week from Delaware. I should buy this before I have to pay sales tax...... hmmmmmm.

Friedman BE-50
----------------------------------------------
Mesa Thiele 1x12 cab / Fillmore
Mesa 1x12 Widebody open back / mc90 x2
Mesa 1x12 Widebody closed back / mc90 x2
THD 2x12 / Celestion H75

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:49 am 
Donating Member

I'm interested. I have an electric guitar with piezos that I don't take advantage of because I run too much gain on my clean channel for the piezo to sound their best. The guitar has a second output and I've been thinking about getting an acoustic amp for a while, but nothing has really grabbed my attention. Being a Mesa fanboy this has my attention by default, and at 300w it'll be legit as an onstage monitor.

|| McCarty | Les Paul | Custom 24 ||
|| Cantrell Wah | Rotovibe | Phase 90 | Grid Slammer ||
|| Triple Crown 50 | Recto 2x12/4x12 ||

|| Jazz Bass | Bass Strategy | PH410 ||

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:12 am 
Mark III

Here is Mesa's other offering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XZDc9-9atU
(Props to Mesa for using the Prelude from the PFA (BWV998) as an example! 8) )

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:53 am 
Mark III

I think this is an interesting pair of products and an interesting market Mesa has decided to enter.

"The ROSETTE line is a dedicated acoustic instrument platform designed not just for acoustic guitars, but also for mandolin, ukulele, violin/fiddle, dulcimer, cello, upright bass and other uniquely acoustic instruments."

The Grace Design Felix was the first product I had ever seen that could be considered an acoustic instrument platform. The Rosette 300 preamp appears simpler when it comes to turning knobs but has some cool I/O features I have never seen before and certainly not in one place. However, the obvious advantage of the Rosette is it is a complete 300-watt amplifier. The Felix is only a preamp, though, it is one heck of a preamp!

The quote above is rather important. Mesa/Boogie is a guitar amplifier company. I do not know how many dulcimer players who keep tabs on Mesa's product line but I bet the number is not high. As far as I know, there are no dulcimer amplifier companies.The same goes for mandolin, ukelele, and bowed string instruments. Ironically, these are the instruments (and players) that need something like the Rosette 300 far more than acoustic guitarists. The first reason is they do not have any products of this nature marketed towards them. The second reason is they play the few instruments that actually sound good with piezo-electric pickups, which is how most of them are amplified assuming the instrument has them installed. The microphone company DPA has spent a lot of time and energy developing instrument-specific microphones. They are very small and clip onto the instrument. Ultimately, the signal ends up at the end of an XLR cable which is connected to a mixer, PA, or some type of amplification. I suspect Mesa was thinking more along the lines of a singer/guitar player set up, but the idea to add an XLR connection with 48v phantom power was a good one.

I think there a number of problems when piezo pickups are used to amplifier both acoustic and electric guitars. Actually, there is really only one problem: they sound bad. I do not know if it is something that can be fixed either. I like how Mesa is doing their part to make sure the amplifier is the strongest link in the chain though. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:52 pm 
Bottle Rocket

I attended a slack key duo concert last week where both guitarists used Rosette amps. Sounded really good!

Here is one of the players and his Rosette https://youtu.be/xcYUxlXtL-o