Kim Thayil Homage: TC-50/Multiwatt Recto

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlpasco

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I always liked the sound that Kim Thayil was able to running his Electra Dyne and Tremoverb in parallel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahUfbGLBcYs&app=desktop), so I pulled out my multi watt rectifier and my TC-50 and decided to see what I could come up with.

kRhf.jpg

The TC-50 rig on the left has been what I've been using for gigging lately, and it works a lot better than I would have hoped. Petrucci was right, the slant 1x12 recto cabinets ARE stupid loud.

I used my Strymon Mobius to split the signal into two paths, sometimes dry, sometimes with stereo chorus to spread things out a little more.

Anyway, I was able to get some really good tones from this combination of amps:

1. TC-50 clean, Recto on Channel 2, Raw, gain about about 11 o'clock (based on what I saw from Thayil's tremoverb, in Blues mode with the gain at about the same level). Felt like I could play this all day.
2. TC-50 clean with delay, Recto on Channel 1 clean, no delay. Very nice
3. TC-50 on blue, medium gain, Recto still on Channel 2, Raw, gain at 11
4. Lots and lots of high gain stuff with the TC-50 on the red channel, recto in Vintage or Modern mode.
5. Lead playing with the same configuration as above, delay on for the TC-50, dry for the Recto.

Thayil said he kept a boost on all pretty much all the time, so I kept my OD-808 on for a lot of this and it all still sounded really good.

This was LOADS of fun.

Nice. I bet that was a satisfying setup. I have the TC-50 and a 5:25 and may try the same type of thing with those. I had a TOV combo but sold it. Kind of regret that. I have that 1/12 slant cab and yes it can get damned loud. Great little cab.

Are you sending mono signal into the Mobius then running the stereo outs to the front of each amp?

Oh also, no noise problems running the two amps?

Deadpool_25 said:
Nice. I bet that was a satisfying setup. I have the TC-50 and a 5:25 and may try the same type of thing with those. I had a TOV combo but sold it. Kind of regret that. I have that 1/12 slant cab and yes it can get damned loud. Great little cab.
I am really liking it, for sure.

Deadpool_25 said:
Are you sending mono signal into the Mobius then running the stereo outs to the front of each amp?
?
Yes. Also, the tc50 has a flashback delay in its fx loop. Turning that on results in a wet signal from the tc and a dry signal from the recto. Simple and sound good together.
Deadpool_25 said:
Oh also, no noise problems running the two amps?
Not so far.

Very nice and good to hear. I'm considering getting a Mobius. So are you able to use its pre/post function in your setup? And what are you doing for reverb? The TC-50 has a quite nice reverb but I know a lot of people like some added variety.

Deadpool_25 said:
Very nice and good to hear. I'm considering getting a Mobius. So are you able to use its pre/post function in your setup? And what are you doing for reverb? The TC-50 has a quite nice reverb but I know a lot of people like some added variety.

I've stuck with the flashback delay for my wet tone. I don't use reverb very often, although the TC-50's is excellent.

Latest posts

Back