Which Boogie Amp?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokiebones

Reaction score
I'm new here and at this time I have an Amp but I'm thinking of
switching over to a Boogie. I have a Vox AC30HW2 and I play
60's music in a Garage Band. I look for Reverb and Tremolo in
my Amp. I have looked at the (Heartbreaker) used and I really
don't know that much about Mesa Boogie Amps. Can you guys
give me some help? Thanks in advance.

As far as current production amps, I do not believe any Mesa amps have tremelo, but most have reverb. The Heartbreaker is out of production and didn't come with trelemo, either. However, the Tremoverb had both tremelo and reverb, which would meet your criteria. It, too is out of production, but you can read about it here:
http://mesaboogie.com/support/out-of-production/tremoverb.html.

To get closer to your Vox tone, another out-of-production line is the Atlantic series. I would think the TA-15 or TA-30 would get you close to what you are used to, tone-wise. You can read about that line here: http://mesaboogie.com/support/out-of-production/transatlantic-series.html.

I have not played through any of the amps I just mentioned, but, from what I've read, those might be a good starting point.

I, too, am in a band that plays 50s and 60s rock only, and I am using the new Triple Crown 50. In that amp, you have the choice of 2 EL34s (stock), 2 6L6s, or 2 6V6s. I ordered 2 6V6 tubes for my amp. That immediately cuts the output power to 25 watts and delivers that vintage 6V6 tone reminiscent of a Fender Champ. Add to that, there are 2 overdrive channels that will cover just about anything aside from the famous Recto tone.

I was considering getting a Vox as every time I heard one being played though when I was shopping around it sounded so good. Perhaps it is the Celestion Greenbacks that help the voice ring out sweetness.

Aside from what was already stated.....

Most of the Mesa amps are almost geared to hard core heavy stuff. Not all though. You may be surprised how well a Roadster would work with the classics as the two clean channels are very nice. Probably my favorite with a few exceptions. The RA100 does a great job with classic rock and blues with a bit of dirt on the clean channel. Similar to the TC-50. Actually that may be a better amp for the style of music you are considering.

Do not forget about the Lone Star. May be geared towards county style but it would probably do well with some early classic styles. As for tremolo, there are effects pedals that could do this trick for you.

The only other amp that has the tone and tremolo would be a Fender twin reverb. They call it Vibrato but same thing or similar.

Guys thanks for your reply I do have a Tremolo pedal it's the
Mooer Trelicopter. I also have the electro-harmonix B9 Organ
Machine. I also have two Fender guitars a American Standard
Telecaster and the Eric Clapton Signature Stratocaster. I do like
the sounds that I have heard on You-Tube of the new Triple
Crown 50 but I know nothing about the Roadster. There is a
local Dealer who sells Mesa Boogie so I'll check with them and
I could always trade my AC30 in.

The Roadster is mainly geared towards Heavy Metal but does an awesome job with classic rock as well. The two high gain channels is where the monster comes alive for that type of service. What most do not seem to gloat about are the two clean channels the amp has on board. Both are very similar and can be dialed in as close as you can get but it is the gain range that differs. The tweed voice on CH1 is the best I have heard thus far. I really enjoy the cleans on the Roadster as much as the dirt to mayhem I can get with the higher gain channels. I am not exactly a metal head but I do often get into the grinder with the higher gain settings. An awesome feature with this amp is the tube rectification which adds a bit of sag and sponginess as it softens up the power supply and allows for some expressiveness in its character. Then there is the Variac power mode called Spongy which reduces the peak voltages and brings out more of a vintage character. Note that when I first demoed the amp I did not like it as I was use to Mark series amps. I was going to buy it but came home with a Mark V head instead. I soon later had to get one as I knew it had potential. Controls are not as intuitive as you would think they are and do take a bit of time to get used to them (mainly on the gain channels). What wakes up the amp is change in V1 from stock to a Tung sol 12ax7 as that helps to take out the darkness of the gain channels. Note that the Roadster is a big head, 100W but can be run at 50W. A bit of a different class to the TC-50. If you like the Vox you may prefer the character of the TC-50 as its feature set is different from most Mesa's. I have my sights on getting a TC-50 but will keep all of my other amps since I prefer to have some variety.

I did this recording some time ago as I was trying out an attenuator and wanted to get a feel for it with the Roadster. Just a simple guitar melody on the clean channel.

https://soundcloud.com/user-353100000/rivera-rcr-mesa-roadster-cleanwav

Roadster with high gain channels (lead CH3 at 50W with tube rec in vintage mode, and rhythm 100W CH4 modern diode rec)

https://soundcloud.com/user-353100000/roadster1-zwav

My only recommendation is you will have to spend some time with each amp before you decide what is right for you. I would also try out a Mark V just for fun as it has many features to it. If it takes several trips it would be worth it in the long run as each amp is different and would be hard to decide which is the one you like the best (probably why I have more than one). Many of the Mesa amps come in two formats (excluding the rack mount options but some are available as rack mount). Head or combo. Combos in the 100W category are extremely heavy ( I have one in the Royal Atlantic format, the Roadster version is heavier). TC-50 from what I have seen in the forums in the combo format sounds great. That will give you options but with the head you will need a speaker cabinet to go with it. I personally would choose a head as I have plenty of cabinets to use. Note that a combo can be used to drive other cabinets so you are not limited by any means.

I threw out the Lone Star suggestion as it may be of interest to you. There may be some other out of production amps available on the used market and if you see one during your search give it a try. (How I wound up with two Royal Atlantic amps, head and combo).

IMO, you should check out the Transatlantic TA-30 if you can, albeit it has been discontinued

My choice was driven by how much weight I want to be hauling up and down the 22 stairs at my house. In all seriousness, I was looking for a very versatile tube amp with crisp overdrive channel. I wanted crunch or as some say, music with texture. The Express 5:25 caught my eye and ear. The rest, as they say, is history.

I bring this amp up because as I was playing around, I came across a surfer sound, kinda like a Beach Boys tone. I could dirty it up or keep it very faithful to that genre. I don't play much of that style but I like the fact I can get it, which increases my interest in playing.

Forgot about the express series..... All I can say is find a dealer and try all of the amps they have. Depends on your interests... I would start with the TC-50 first, and then the rest afterwards.... Each amp will have its own tone and character but will share some common ground in its root flavor (tastes like a boogie).

Some dealers may still have a TA series amp or even an RA for that matter. Both are great amps as well. All depends on your goals and music tastes. I play an array of different music genre and have no difficulty pulling it off with any of my amps. Some I favor more than others for one style vs the other. Unfortunately not one amp can do it all (some amps have more features than the others) but to not hold back on the amps with less features as they may have that spirit you are looking for. Then there is the weight factor. Tube amps are generally heavy. Combo amps are heavier... If you narrow down to a model you like and if it is heavy, make sure it comes with casters (yes they can be removed, based on slide lock plates vs peg style).

Smokiebones said:
Guys thanks for your reply I do have a Tremolo pedal it's the
Mooer Trelicopter. I also have the electro-harmonix B9 Organ
Machine. I also have two Fender guitars a American Standard
Telecaster and the Eric Clapton Signature Stratocaster. I do like
the sounds that I have heard on You-Tube of the new Triple
Crown 50 but I know nothing about the Roadster. There is a
local Dealer who sells Mesa Boogie so I'll check with them and
I could always trade my AC30 in.

I have a B9 pedal, too. I got it used from fleabay, and it wound up dying on me. I sent it to EH along with a check for $25. It came back fixed-ish. I've had it work sometimes, but not consistently. I wound up buying a TC Electronics Sub'n'Up. While it's basically an octaver, it also has other effects built in. You have to use a computer to get to the other settings, but you can also download new "tone prints." There are lots of Tone Prints for that pedal, and I don't know if I would use some of them. I found one that sounds even better than the B9. I had to tweak it just a little, but it completely fits the bill for my needs. The only disappointment with the Tone Prints is that you can only download/use one at a time. There isn't any storage capabilities for multiple customs sounds. It's pretty much my favorite new toy! In my oldies band, I play Strats and Teles, too. My favorite being an old HM Tele with a Floyd Rose and 2 tap-able humbuckers.

My cover band does everything from surf rock, 60s RnR and R&B, B52s to OK Go and I'd highly recommend a Lonestar Special. Mine handles everything we do it, sounds fantastic doing it, and doesn't break my back hauling it in the house at 3:00am after a gig.

I use a TC G-System in 4CM to control every aspect of the amp, and unlike my Mk IV, I don't have to use a hum eliminator or midi switcher. I run an OD, Fuzz, and an EHX B9 in the G-System's loops and all sound great with the LSS.

Like any Mesa, it took a little while to dial in, but now I don't touch the controls to switch between any of my guitars from a Hamer Newport with TV Jones to my Jazzmaster to a SG Classic with P90s.

I can't say enough good things about the LSS. It's not perfect for sure, but it's **** close.

Latest posts

Back