Rocket44 Parallel to Series Mod

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumpe

Reaction score
Key issue is: I love the amps dirt tone. Hence, I am a bit down for having to run my signal with the Fx Loop Mix at the amp at 50% to get a decent Fx Effects Loops going, because there is a tone difference (I am unsure if this can not in itself be fixed with a boost and will experiment).

Would a Parallel to Series modification of the Rocket44 on the amp mess with the amp´s dirt/distortion sound?

edit:
I realise the rocket 44 effect loop Fx goes from 10 to 100%. Would 100% then = series mode? Note I definetely hear a volume suck when engaging 100% of the effect loop mix on the amp but it seems that turning things up higher and/or using EQs/boost pre or post-loop get tones fairly close or good - but my quest and question remain - would Serial mod keep the amps original tone better than 50% or 100% mix?!

sumpe said:
Key issue is: I love the amps dirt tone. Hence, I am a bit down for having to run my signal with the Fx Loop Mix at the amp at 50% to get a decent Fx Effects Loops going, because there is a tone difference (I am unsure if this can not in itself be fixed with a boost and will experiment).

Would a Parallel to Series modification of the Rocket44 on the amp mess with the amp´s dirt/distortion sound?

edit:
I realise the rocket 44 effect loop Fx goes from 10 to 100%. Would 100% then = series mode? Note I definetely hear a volume suck when engaging 100% of the effect loop mix on the amp but it seems that turning things up higher and/or using EQs/boost pre or post-loop get tones fairly close or good - but my quest and question remain - would Serial mod keep the amps original tone better than 50% or 100% mix?!
Have you tried it with the loop mix set at 100%? While this will not be a true series path, it may work fine for your situation.

Changing from parallel to series is more about improving the usefulness of the loop, it really doesn't change it's tonal character. What it does is reduce the effects of phase cancellation from two direct signal paths that are not in phase (timed to each other). For example, there will be two dry signals, one from the parallel loop, and one from the parallel mixer in the effect pedal. If the phase of these two dry signals are not properly aligned, certain frequencies can get cancelled out, creating the "tone suck" that many people complain about. When you convert the FX loop to series, it eliminates the dry signal path in the amp.

Another approach is if the effect has a 'kill-dry' function, which eliminates the dry signal in the effect, sending only the effected signal out of the pedal to be mixed in parallel at the FX loop.

Dom

hi domct203,
thanks for reply. i tried the 100% fx loop mix option and it is acceptable but tone does change. i also realise my reverb pedal (eventide space) adds a hiss (but none of this happens in my solid state fx loop amp, aer 60, also parallel). the reverb pedal also is less noisy when going in front of amp or as the first pedal in the loop. unfortunately, those are not real alternatives because it needs to sit after my m13 line 6 on the loop.

i also tried the kill dry option but it sucks tone even more and means te reverb pedal needs to be engaged otherwise all otjer effects wont work.

any other suggestions??

ps: i am using a line level converter out of the loop and back in. i also am 'boosting' the signal out if the reverb pedal to line level to 'increase' the reverb effect bc otherwise it seems weaker...

Hey, update, i got a mod for the rocket44 and found a tech who did it :)
Now i am getting lots of white noise on the Fx Loop - I, likely by mistake, got rid of a line level shifter I had previously, thinking I would not need one anymore now that my amp is in series, but I think it is still sending a higher signal out from the Fx Loop (the same pedals are much quieter when in front of the amp) - so I probably need it.

Any ideas if the dB coming our of the Fx Loop after it has been modified from Parallel to Series changes at all?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back