Do I have a hole shaped like a Stiletto?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GJgo

Reaction score
So if a guy has Mark amps & Rectifier amps, does the Stiletto bring to the table something you can't get with the other amps you have? I know I need to go find one & play it, but that's easier said than done for me geographically. Usually I resort to buying a new piece of gear for a good enough price that if I don't like it I can sell it & get my money back out of it..

Discuss!

Honestly, it really depends on what you WANT. It's just a different flavour that the Rectos and Marks don't over. FYI, I own one from each series 8)

As I understand it, the stiletto is in the ballpark of a Marshall JCM800. That is definitely not something your other amps will not do.

Did you find yourself wanting Marshall tone? This would be a way to get close.

I find myself wanting a Marshall tone more than I find myself wanting a Marshall. ;)

I also wonder how different a Stiletto is from a Recto running EL34s..?

GJgo said:
I find myself wanting a Marshall tone more than I find myself wanting a Marshall. ;)

I also wonder how different a Stiletto is from a Recto running EL34s..?

Still different voicing. The Stiletto will still sound more British

The Stiletto Stage II is a great amp. Cleans are really good, ifyoui want that. The gain tones very good.

I own a Mark and a Recto, the Stiletto doesn't overlap either. The Stiletto is more sounding than a Rec, but not as in your face as a Mark.

The bold/Spongy variac, silicone/tube rectifier really changes the tone and feel I these amps.

The effects loop return helps with the output.

Bypassing the loop removed some of gain, and the amp responds differently.

Great amp.

Thanks for the feedback. I've really been waffling on what amp to try next. A Stiletto, a different Mark amp, a Marshall. Marshall is out gonna stick with Mesa, now to decide which one!

Which Marks do you have?

You really should try a Shiva if you haven't already. Note that the EL34 and 6L6 versions are totally different. and both are worth a try. If you want more modern, you could go for a Shiva 20th with KT88. But then you're kind of in Mark territory.

Also the PRS 2 Channel C and H are like the Shiva EL34 and 6L6 respectively, but a bit different as well.

So many great amps. I found that I am more of a 6L6 guy or I would have a Stiletto (or would have kept my EL34 Shiva).

Thanks Elvis,

Haven't tried a Shiva, or many boutique amps, they don't really exist in my neck of the woods. When I get an interest in something I go to YouTube. I keep listening to Stiletto clips on there & I'm thinking that I'm not hearing the character I'm looking for. Close, but not quite.

Right now I have a Mark III blue stripe & a JP-2C. Mark amps in general have always been my favorite sound.

Good choice of amps!

I have dialed my Mesas around quite a bit, as well as others, but every manufacturer has its own thing going on. I love Mesa, but for Marshall-esque tone, I'd go Bogner. At this point, you can get an 11-knob Shiva for pretty reasonable money. They are fantastic amps. Depending on your preference, you can get EL34, 6L6 or KT88 power stages. Though they are tough to find in the wild. I have used GC to buy such amps, as they generally have them in stock somewhere in the US, and their policy allows you to have them shipped to a local store and inspect/try before taking ownership. Or have it shipped to your home and still have like 30 days to return.

Alternatively, you owe it to yourself to try a TC50. That amp can do quite a lot, and is NOT a Mark. It's also a big winner in that you can run 3 kinds of tubes in it, unlike pretty much every other Marshall-style amp.

If you are OK fronting the cash, buy a couple different amps and keep the winner. Or none. The Stiletto is likely a great amp, but I'd recommend expanding your net a bit.

I had a Stiletto Deuce (stage 1) for 1 week. Was not the amp for me... Already had Mark V, Roadster, and an RA100 head. Not a bad amp but sounded very similar to the Roadster blended with the Mark V. For an EL34 Based amp, I preferred the RA100 over the Stiletto. Perhaps it would have sounded better through an EV speaker but I had already divorced myself from the EV speakers. I returned the amp and exchanged it for another RA100 but in a combo format. Now that the Triple Crown is out, definitely have to get one of those. May even be a better choice with the combo than the ACE version of Stiletto.

Latest posts

Back