4x12 cab choice

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_barnes

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am in the process of choosing a new cab for my dual recto. So far I've been using Hughes&Kettner with v30 speakers. I have indeed read the FAQ and know that most people will just say to get the Mesa Std cab. Still, being in Europe I am willing to look for a good alternative due to the price of Mesa products here.

Based on the following comparison I am seriosly considering ENGL PRO 4X12 cab with V30.

https://youtu.be/ORX8PzQTi5A

We have local dealers who sell ENGL, DIEZEL, FRAMUS, MARSHALL. I also have a friend selling Bogner Uberkab in pretty decent condition.

I would be able to get a new ENGL PRO for around $1000. New Mesa would cost me around $2000, and even though I know it's a good cab, that's quite a lot of money.

I play hardcore tuned two steps down with a Gibson Les Paul.

Opinions are much appreciated.

perhaps a day late and a Euro dollar short.... based on the one video I preferred cabinet A, C and D. If you can find a vintage 1960 at a low price that would be good. However the Engle Pro sounded the best in the demo.

Honestly, I liked all of them, but in this demo my preference is D.

That said, listeners have to realize that's how the cabs sound with a mic on that specific location. Moving the mic around will produce different results. Also, try listening to the clips out of order since your brain will tend to pick out differences rather than focusing on the core tone. Example, after clip D I thought E sounded ridiculously sizzly, but going back and listening later it sounded more cutting and aggressive. Same goes for clip B... listening to it right after A makes it sound dull, but if you go back to it later is sounds thick and chunky.

OP... out of curiosity, what's wrong with your H&K cab that you're trying to fix?

Latest posts

Back