Mark V Again

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlpasco

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I disabled the fx loop on my Mark V combo tonight and I have to say, there is nothing better out there as far as I am concerned.

Mark IIC+ and Mark IV mode seriously out-brute my Mark III and JP-2C. It's unbelievable. The clean channel is also fantastic.

Just fantastic. What a beast.

Channel 2...Channel 2 wanted me to play louder than I really could at home. It always has this weird midrange congestion that happens at high gain and lower volumes that clears up fantastically once it gets opened up.

I just wish it could sound that good with the fx loop on. I guess that's why the switch is there - so you can turn it off and melt your face.

You're going to force me to try it. I've spend the last two weeks running the channel/master controls the opposite way that I had previously heard was the best way. Lately, instead of channel volumes up at least to 12:00 and Volume to taste (10:00 or so) I've been running Master at noon and channel volumes at 10:00 or so for the same volume levels. I haven't done a very careful level balanced A/B test, but it seems to be a little better this way. More open. I've got nothing in the loop now anyway as I've been playing the V25 and Mini Rec for the last week. Maybe it's time to revisit the loop switch off position.

I agree, no matter what I hear, the Mark V still just beats it head to head. Then you consider everything else the Mark V offers, and there is no comparison. All bias aside, as it was my first Mesa, but I truly think it is the greatest amp in history. If it only had Midi......

Perhaps I should give that a go..... before I sell it... it may change my mind. Getting a new one may eliminate the issues I am having with the old one.

Out of all of my amps, somehow I wish I kept the Mark IV and Mark III, I love the JP the most along with the Roadster, the RA's are also happy makers too. I get a sour puss when I play though the Mark V. :cry: Will have to see what gives with this amp as I find the tone less satisfying. Yes, it has gain to drive anybody into fear, just trying to tame it and keep the treble out of the freezer is the trick. I could sell the one I have and get another one.... I did try out a new Mark V over Christmas and it sounded great. I can believe you as I had another point of reference.

Go figure.... since I got the Mark V up and running, decided to change all of the preamp tubes just for kicks. Picked out the Mesa tubes from my stash and installed one of the SPAX7 into V1. Amp never sounded better. Running with the FXloop off sound great. Sounds great with it turned on too. Guess I will keep it.... Got my smile back with this amp. Cool. Definitely kicks butt and may have a bit more gain than the JP but that amp is awesome too.

bandit2013 said:
Go figure.... since I got the Mark V up and running, decided to change all of the preamp tubes just for kicks. Picked out the Mesa tubes from my stash and installed one of the SPAX7 into V1. Amp never sounded better. Running with the FXloop off sound great. Sounds great with it turned on too. Guess I will keep it.... Got my smile back with this amp. Cool. Definitely kicks butt and may have a bit more gain than the JP but that amp is awesome too.

I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone in that assessment. Whether it's the fx loop, placing the speaker on the ground, or just that the amp needs more volume to get full-throated, it's still possible to dial it in and make it rip.

-Dan

Agree that the Mark V is the best sounding and playing amp I've ever had ... been through a lot of amps. It's an amp that just takes you to another level ... the dynamics, clarity, thump, chunk, sustain, liquid or grind, and responsiveness ... It's a very unique playing experience that allows me to HEAR things in my playing I've never heard before. Pedals through the clean channel sound better than I've ever heard them before. Fantastic product on every level.

There's another thread on this board about swapping the tube in the FX loop (V6). Have you tried that?

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=73352

I haven't tried it because I'm a paycheck away from ordering mine. I've been practicing all week.

TaoInMotion said:
Agree that the Mark V is the best sounding and playing amp I've ever had ... been through a lot of amps. It's an amp that just takes you to another level ... the dynamics, clarity, thump, chunk, sustain, liquid or grind, and responsiveness ... It's a very unique playing experience that allows me to HEAR things in my playing I've never heard before. Pedals through the clean channel sound better than I've ever heard them before. Fantastic product on every level.

Could not agree more on the clean channel. Pedals sound incredible. I've pulled my SDD 3000 out of the effects loop to just run it in front of the clean channel and WOW! The clarity, punch and overall immersiveness of the sound is nothing short of amazing.

Back