New signature Hetfield Mesa Mark amp ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys!

Just watched some videos on youtube and found something interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAnzAzzZXb0

Take a look at 0:43 second. What do you think ?

Alex

Wow! At first, I thought the amp was a Mark V, but you can see clearly that there is a small section of knobs in between the channel 2 and 3 knob sections, unlike the Mark V. Also, the power switches on the right are top/bottom, rather than side by side. Also, I think this amp does not have the 3 small knobs to the right of the GEQ, like the Mark V has. Very interesting, and good catch! :p

Also, he is not using the classic "V" on the GEQ!

Should have been the first Sig artist really.... MOP tone is what sent me on this guitar journey back in 1986!! He deserves one!!!

Het goes through so much gear that a Sig model would be a terrible investment for a developer. By the time they released it, he'd be on to something new.

No disrespect to Het, he gave us all a tone grail. But at least JP has stuck it out over the years.

Well.... JP has used Mesas for the hole time, but not the IIC+, which is his sig now. Right before that he used the Triaxis before that the Mark V, both NOT in IIC+ mode... (Mark IV on the V and Mark III in the Triaxis).

Hetfield has used several brands over the years, but the Mesa IIC+ was a constant, though changing slightly, from IIC+/ IIC++, to the modded Triaxis in IIC+ mode, back to his crunchberries (not sure if that really is a ++ like everyone belives. Havn't seen "proof" of it. Hetfield himself calls it his "C+" in a Death Magnetic interview)...

Hetfield - as signature artist - makes sense. Most people with sig gear use other stuff as well. Kirk always used the Recto alongside his Randalls. Slash used JCM 800s an the vintage modern beside his sig amps (before switching to 800s...). Tremonti is getting a sig amp from PRS and is using a Bogner Überschall and an Mesa Recto for years, and I can't see him getting rid of the Mesa... so basicly what I'm trying to say is, a signature IIC+(+) for Het would sell and I would be interessted like many many others ;)

yeah, definately not any standard amp mesa offers.

any speculation as to what the "extra" knobs are for (maybe that volume 1)? anyone find any other videos with that amp in it?

I'm really not looking forward to dropping another $2500 on a new Hetfield amp :cry:

dmcguitar had a comment in another thread that made me think; maybe it's not a Hetfield amp but the next Mark amp, the Mark VI. Or anything really, I'm sure that's not Hetfield's first prototype he's got the chance to try out. Does Hetfield even need two GEQs anyway? His reissue would be more like the original, without the clean channel, just a single lead channel and a GEQ with simul class. His wouldn't need anything groundbreaking like JP has on his. James isnt on stage flipping through settings on his midi, he just needs a really good crunch tone and he's good for the night. Petrucci's amp came from real solutions to the c+ to make it better at performing on stage for him. What would Hetfield have to offer in that department? Any new features his amp might have could seem pretentious. He doesn't need all those features because he doesn't use all those features. But if it sounds good I'll still buy it :mrgreen:

Here's a couple of screen grabs for anyone that is interested
zDdH.png

FP0i.png

Looks like standard control layouts for a 90-watt Mark V with a small cluster of controls between the Channel 2 and Channel 3 control blocks.

Interesting cutaway in the front grille. Sort of a pyramid shape.

SamuelJ86 said:
I'm really not looking forward to dropping another $2500 on a new Hetfield amp :cry:

dmcguitar had a comment in another thread that made me think; maybe it's not a Hetfield amp but the next Mark amp, the Mark VI. Or anything really, I'm sure that's not Hetfield's first prototype he's got the chance to try out. Does Hetfield even need two GEQs anyway? His reissue would be more like the original, without the clean channel, just a single lead channel and a GEQ with simul class. His wouldn't need anything groundbreaking like JP has on his. James isnt on stage flipping through settings on his midi, he just needs a really good crunch tone and he's good for the night. Petrucci's amp came from real solutions to the c+ to make it better at performing on stage for him. What would Hetfield have to offer in that department? Any new features his amp might have could seem pretentious. He doesn't need all those features because he doesn't use all those features. But if it sounds good I'll still buy it :mrgreen:

IMO, if mesa was to put out a JH head, it would probably be better as a JP2c styled, multi channel and options, just so they can keep the price up, and not canabalize other amp sales. They always offer too many options on their amps, so it would make sense to keep with that and say here is a clean (maybe with modes) here is the crunch / lead 1 that everyone wants from puppets / AJFA (maybe with modes like Mark4 for the black album sound) and then lead 2 to give that St. Anger sound every loves (j/K) but a 3 channel that could be used for solos (or the Mark 4 sound) would be great. I just think the 2 graphic Eq is a great idea (for 2016+) and also think all amps should have the defeatable Output control.

I am still trying to figure out what the 2 knobs are for... seems like 2 volume 1 knobs would be a possiblity

Latest posts

Back