N.A.D Tremoverb!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chiliphil1

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm finally back in the Mesa family after switching back over to Marshall for a while.

My local GC got in a used ToV combo and I ended up bringing her home. I returned the Marshall Kerry King head I bought recently and got the Mesa instead and I think Im going to be happier this way. The combo is in pretty good shape but needs a couple little pieces (like the top handle) but this thing jams! I can't believe the tone coming from an open back cab. I got home late last night with it, so I haven't been able to run through my 4x12 (Marshall 1960A) yet but I'll get to do that today and I expect pretty good results.

If anyone has any tips or anything I'd be glad to hear them.. Thanks.

The KK is an amp that desperately needs modding. Wouldn't trade mine for anything.
Hope the Tremoverb works out. Currently looking to trade my 1980 2203 for a rectifier amp.

Nicklotsaguitars said:
The KK is an amp that desperately needs modding. Wouldn't trade mine for anything.
Hope the Tremoverb works out. Currently looking to trade my 1980 2203 for a rectifier amp.

Thank you. I could definately see the potential in the KK but it was so fizzy. I know for sure I'll get a 2203 again but I think I'll go for the reissue for the hardwired pots and loop.

With my KK before I modded it. I kept the mids up at max, the presence at zero, the treble on zero and bass around half. A Marshall engineer once told me that mids full bass and treble at zero was the way to dial a Marshall in flat eq. The problem with that amp is kinkless tetrode valves, KT's. The same mid scoop you hear out of 6L6's is only exacerbated in that amp by having the KT88's biased so cold. Best thing I ever did was ditch the KT88's in that amp. Once I got EL34's in it and the boost off, side by side it was indistinguishable from my JMP2203.

How does the rectoverb compare to a dual rec? I'm after trading my other 2203 for a rectifier amp. But ain't seeing many dual or single rec's coming up but a few Tremoverbs and Rectoverbs

Nicklotsaguitars said:
With my KK before I modded it. I kept the mids up at max, the presence at zero, the treble on zero and bass around half. A Marshall engineer once told me that mids full bass and treble at zero was the way to dial a Marshall in flat eq. The problem with that amp is kinkless tetrode valves, KT's. The same mid scoop you hear out of 6L6's is only exacerbated in that amp by having the KT88's biased so cold. Best thing I ever did was ditch the KT88's in that amp. Once I got EL34's in it and the boost off, side by side it was indistinguishable from my JMP2203.

How does the rectoverb compare to a dual rec? I'm after trading my other 2203 for a rectifier amp. But ain't seeing many dual or single rec's coming up but a few Tremoverbs and Rectoverbs

I have never played another recto, so I'm not a good source. I will say that it does that recto tone which is in my head. Now whether that's the one in yours or not is another matter. I was learning some songs yesterday that were played on these amps and it was doing pretty good, some killswitch, as I lay dying, etc and it sounded just about right to me. I also find that when I'm on modern with the boost the guitar volume has a huge effect. If the volume is on full it does the heavy chug thing, about half is a good 80' metal sound, and on about 2-3 does an extremely passable classic rock tone and this is all on modern with the tube screamer on! I have the other channel set to clean as the red channel covers all the dirt I need. Personally I would highly recommend a ToV based on my experience.

Hey, btw you could probably sell that 2203 and open a whole new world. Guitar centers used site has anything you could want. Dual, triples, etc all <$1,000.

The prices don't work like that where I live. £800 is a fair price for the amp. A solo rectifier 50 watt head sells for about £900 used.
From what you say though, the chugga chugga sound is about what I equate with recto's. My problem is I'm ruined by my Mark V. The only thing I can think of that I can't get out of that or a 2203, is a Dual Rec sound.

Nicklotsaguitars said:
The prices don't work like that where I live. £800 is a fair price for the amp. A solo rectifier 50 watt head sells for about £900 used.
From what you say though, the chugga chugga sound is about what I equate with recto's. My problem is I'm ruined by my Mark V. The only thing I can think of that I can't get out of that or a 2203, is a Dual Rec sound.

Yes definately, I had a mark v for a little while and I seriously want another one. They are absolutely fantastic. I think my next amp purchase is going to be a mark v:25. The tone between them is very different, the mark did awesome for Metallica type tones but this one has that massive bottom end with the sort of "harmonic fizz" that I love so much in the recordings of these amps. I really don't know what to call that tone but it's beautiful. Nothing I have ever played has come anywhere near that sound and I've been chasing it for years. I'm so glad to finally have this piece of the "puzzle" for my tone. The only thing I want for now is the little mark and a good Marshall. So far though I'm liking this amp better than pretty much anything I have ever played.

Latest posts

Back