Mesa or Dr Z question?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackie59

Reaction score
I have a Mark V that does everything really well and it's a great amp for the blues/rock stuff that I play. I've been saving my spare change to get a small head to use to jam with some friends around town and have considered picking up a Rectoverb 25, previous owner of one before I got the Mark, and maybe a Maz 18. Not committed to either one and thought I have the Mesa tones covered with a Mark and didn't know if a Maz Jr would be something fun to try out for a low watt head. My instinct is to stick to Mesa as it's a known quantity but I'm always open to new tools to try too. Anyway, any input would be appreciated.

Similar dilemma. I'm looking to ditch a JMP2203. Interested in trades but need something interesting.
I've been offered plenty in the last fortnight. Dumble clones, a twin, other Marshalls. 6505's and a 50 watt 5150.
Well the Dumble clone and the twin are covered by my Mark 1 mode. Marshalls are pointless I may as well keep my 800. And the peaveys are based on the Super Lead.
Aside from recto sounds, there's nothing I can't get my Mark V to do. And I don't think they're beyond the scope of the amp.
I wouldn't be considering the Maz18. Aside from portability I don't think you'll be gaining anything from that amp that isn't in edge or tweed mode on the Mark V.
I've built a couple of those 18 watt Dominator/1974x clones. They're ridiculously easy and eminently mod'able if you're handy with a soldering iron.

The more I love this amp, the more it ruins me for everything else.

Yeah my Mark is making getting another amp really hard to do. Maybe my interest in the Maz is more due to internet hype than anything else. That's why I'm asking before coughing up the cash.

That's all it is mate, hype. That 18 watt circuit is nice, but it's limited. Trust me I've done all the mods on that design when building my own. Trying them out, seeing what worked for me. The anarchic EL84 sound is prevalent throughout all of it. No matter how much pre-amp gain you wire into the circuit. Upping the voltage of the cathode resistor bypass capacitors does a good job of getting it into Marshall Superbass territory. But that's about it.
People can go on all they want about expensive transformers and capacitors. For me it's a case of the emperors new clothes in that amp design. It's certainly not worth the asking price. You can build a good quality version for £250.
If you want the EL84 sound you'd be better off either building your own or buying a used MKv25.

Back