Speakers in 2x12 recto cab conciderations

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7enderbender

Reaction score
Hi there,

So I added a second 2x12 recto cab (standard size) to use with my Triaxis/2:fifty rack. My previous one I guess was newer, this one might be older and has V30 speakers with a 4416 code (stamped on the frame), which according to my research would make the older, made in England versions. I have to open up the newer (?) cab again to see what's in there. Long story short: the newer model (the one I already had) sounds a tad better than the used one I just bought. It's more aggressive yet tighter while the one I just bought seems a bit more flubby.

There are certain frequencies (most pronounced when playing an A note on the low E string) that just seem to fold on each other if that makes sense. It reminds me of what an oversized greenback equipped Marshall cab did that I ever so briefly owned - but in a bad way.

So I'm debating several options now: I could just return the one I just bought and get a different one. That may or may not solve the issue though. I think the underlying issue is that I'm still just not a fan of the V30 sound in general - at least just by itself. I get the best results (certainly for recording) when I mix a V30 with a G12 T75. And call me crazy but by the end of the day the T75 (with it's bad reputation and all) is still my favorite.

So I'm leaning towards swapping out one of the V30s in the more recent cab for a new T75 (I personally have no issue with the new, Chinese made version of it that I also have in my Marshall 1960A cab). Is anyone else doing this? I know there are cabs from other manufacturers that come like that from the factory. Was it Bogner or so?

I have a similar thing going on with my pair of vertical 2x12 recto cabs. Both have V30, the old one has a softer sound, though still tight. The new one (I bought it brand new a couple months a go) is tighter and brighter, and also stiffer, though it is changing as it breaks in.

I don't know if it's more age, use, or changes in manufacturing that is causing this. Luckily I am happy enough with both cabs.

I would argue that a G12T75 will add lows and make a cab even flubbier. You might want to just dump new V30s into it if you are happy with the sound of the newer cab.

Dunno why people give the G12-75 a hard time. It's probably the most used speaker around. It's not bad, it's just common. I think it's slight mid scoop helps the V30 out no end. And yeah, like you. I'm not a massive fan of the V30. There's something wrong about the mid hump on it. Yeah it's aggressive and punching. But it seems a little narrow a mid hump to my ears. I prefer the G12-65 (the old ones). They have a mid hump but it seems to creep into the low mids a bit more.
I prefer the G12H to all of them. I think it's the best sounding speaker for rock/metal drive. It sounds pretty even. It's just a shame about the poor volume handling at 30watts.

Back