New Metallica Single and Sound

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackoutshred

Reaction score
For thus tone gurus out there... what type of sound can you hear on guitars?

for me, too aggressive for Mark range... maybe Recto sound?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhBHL3v4d3I

Alan.

I just watched the making of "Hardwired" videos.

James seems to have used his old "crunchberries" IIC+, a Diezel VH4 and an all black Marshall looking amp (can't make out what it is in the video but it looks a bit like a Friedman Steve Stevens model) together to get the sound.

I guess the amp stack beside James' in the control room is Kirk's. If so, he seems to have used his new signature Randall and a old Marshall JMP 2203 (or 2204) head. There seems to be another amp as well but I have to watch it again.

I wonder if Kirk played any rhythm on this album. They just show him playing the lead in the video. In the old days (pre Load) James played all the rhythms and harmonies and Kirk just played leads. I think I remember that they went back to that somewhat on DM. Seems to be that way this time too.

Fun fact for lovers of old Fleetwood Mac and Gary Moore: Kirk used "Greenie" (1959 Les Paul that belonged to Peter Green and Gary Moore) on the solo.

Edit: I watched another video on metclub and yes, Kirk used the other amp stack and he also used a rackmount Dual recto in his amp stack. He also seems to have used the same black Marshall looking amp that James was using. All 4 amps are turned on. In this video Kirk used 3 wahs at the same time. Yes 3!!! But the producer told him to turn them off :)

Bullen said:
James seems to have used his old "crunchberries" IIC+, a Diezel VH4 and an all black Marshall looking amp

That "Marshall looking" amp is an Wizard Modern Classic. Het used it a couple of times before. Especially on Garage Inc.

Marc_Nitschke221B said:
Bullen said:
James seems to have used his old "crunchberries" IIC+, a Diezel VH4 and an all black Marshall looking amp

That "Marshall looking" amp is an Wizard Modern Classic. Het used it a couple of times before. Especially on Garage Inc.

Yeah, I realized that it was a Wizard after I posted. Don't know why I didn't think of that. I know he used that amp in the past. Too bad that the album sound doesn't sound like it did in the studio. I really like that crunch sound he got in the video, but it sure doesn't sound like that on the finished product.

Black amp is a '96 Wizard Modern Classic. He's got the original single input model. I've got one of those as well. That particular spec was only made for 400-500 amps before it changed. He used it blended on a lot of dirty tones on Reload, then quite a bit on Garage Inc. Just take a listen to "Turn the Page" and others for a good idea of its tone. Here's mine:

James on the new album was using the Mesa Mark IIC++ ("Crunchberries"), '96 Wizard Modern Classic, and one of his old Diezel VH4's. Looks like Kirk's stack had a Marshall JMP 2203, one of his Randall's, and a Mesa Dual Rectifier.

And yes, the tone on the making of video is much better than the album. I have no clue how they didn't track that tone better.

A lot of things can happen to a guitar tone when mixing/mastering. A lot of times you're cutting bass frequencies to make room for the bass guitar, cutting certain high frequencies to gel with the cymbals/vocals, etc. Then mastering, particularly with Metallica, just squashes the entire thing together like playdough. I will often do a kind of cheap pre-master on my mixes to see how the guitar tone will be affected and adjust accordingly before really mastering things.

In the new videos James was also using the (Metallica) C+ and a three channel Duel recto.

Latest posts

Back