Mesa recto verb 25 vs Electra dyne vs tremoverb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b_ryceeeee808

Reaction score
Im looking for something with a classic tone underneath it all. I got really close to pulling the trigger on a rectoverb 25 not too long ago but didn't and now I've got these other two mesa's in mind. I'm using a Gibson les paul double cutaway classic and The rock stuff I've been playing lately is in the area of The Mars Volta, The Strokes, Arctic monkeys,Incubus, soundgarden, Bad Brains but I also would like it to be able to clean up for some jazz/Fusion.

b_ryceeeee808 said:
Im looking for something with a classic tone underneath it all. I got really close to pulling the trigger on a rectoverb 25 not too long ago but didn't and now I've got these other two mesa's in mind. I'm using a Gibson les paul double cutaway classic and The rock stuff I've been playing lately is in the area of The Mars Volta, The Strokes, Arctic monkeys,Incubus, soundgarden, Bad Brains but I also would like it to be able to clean up for some jazz/Fusion.

I've owned all three. The Tremoverb will definitely get you there for everything you've mentioned, and kick butt at it. The rectoverb 25 is also excellent, actually. The dyne always felt more like a RATM/AIC sound to me, but I know plenty of people love them.

Combo or head? If a combo, how important is luggability? The Tremoverb combo fantastic but it is a tank.

**** it, now I miss mine.

dlpasco said:
b_ryceeeee808 said:

I've owned all three. The Tremoverb will definitely get you there for everything you've mentioned, and kick butt at it. The rectoverb 25 is also excellent, actually. The dyne always felt more like a RATM/AIC sound to me, but I know plenty of people love them.

Combo or head? If a combo, how important is luggability? The Tremoverb combo fantastic but it is a tank.

**** it, now I miss mine.

I was originally gonna get a head/cab situation which was gonna be a rectoverb 25 into an old Mesa thiele 1x12 that came with the Evm black shadow speakers but I held off and recently some buddies just told me about the tremoverb and Electra dyne. Im might be open to a combo situation.

It seems like the trem o verb might be mesa's hidden gem. I can't seem to find any clips of it anywhere

b_ryceeeee808 said:
It seems like the trem o verb might be mesa's hidden gem. I can't seem to find any clips of it anywhere

Well, if you listen to Incubus' Science album, you'll get a good sense of what it can do.
Kim Thayil uses one along with an Electra Dyne - he tends to play very low gain though. Here's a rig rundown of his gear https://youtu.be/ahUfbGLBcYs

Here's a couple of my own clips. I was shooting for a very lo-fi sound for the first track.
https://soundcloud.com/dlpasco/on-my-mind-tremoverb-orange-vintage
https://soundcloud.com/dlpasco/tremoverbs-revenge
https://soundcloud.com/dlpasco/tremoverb-low-gain

Kim's tone is insane. Can low volume home practice be pulled off with these amps? I it will probably suffer tonally but I like practicing at home also away from our rehearsal spot. do you think the tremoverb and rectoverb 25 could do nick valensi type tones from The Strokes? And honestly I'm really digging the t-verbs but maybe 100 watts might be too much. Debateable though. I see them pop up used for good prices. Mostly the combos. I was originally gonna go for a rectoverb 25 with alone of those Mesa thiele closed back 1x12's that were loaded with the Evm black shadow speaker. Tremoverb rectoverb 25 and rectoverb 50watt version are all sounding good now. Also the how did you have a tremoverb combo or head+cab? I'm wondering if a head with maybe a closed back Mesa 2x12 would be better.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4G3KBcE9KYY
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc9S9qfL7Ts

I had a Tremoverb combo with Vintage 30s and it sounded terrific.

Low volume is dicey - you can dial in bedroom volumes but the jump in volume can be pretty quick.

The speakers can be unplugged from the amp itself so you can use a cab clone, torpedo live, etc if you need totally silent playing.

The other question is, how big are the venues you're playing?

This conversation is killing me. I need to see if I can dial in some of these tones on my mark or flip a guitar and get another tverb combo myself.

I've had my tremoverb from new in the mid 90s...recently it had a service.
It's not getting so much use since I bought an slo100 and a mk1 reissue.
It's weird though..the tremoverb hasn't been a massive sounding as I remember it (unless it's me being sentimental) and I could do with some good advice on what tubes to buy for it.
Im sure the originals were str420

I gigged with a MR and a RV25 for a couple years. Great amps. I used a Mesa 4x10 with them and it was fantastic.

I also have an Electradyne. That is an unbelievable amp for low-gain tones, but LOUD. You would need an attenuator in most circumstances. I use a Rock Crusher with it. But boy does it sound great.

To me, The Dyne is ultimate blues and classic rock. The MR/RV25 also do those well, plus they can do more modern tones. The recto DNA in them gives that great midrange punch/grind that cuts through.

However, the 25W amps do get anemic in the lows due to the EL84 design. You could add a Power Station, but I prefer to just get an amp with 6L6 out of the gate.

I can also strongly recommend an F50 as a middle ground between the two. I gigged with one of those for a long time. Fantastic amp.

Latest posts

Back