What else crunches like Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barryswanson

Reaction score
I wanna buy a new amp head and I really like crunch mode on my Mark V. What other amps do that sort of big beefy crunch but with a tad more gain? I've found a few good deals on some new old stock Stilleto Ace's but I've never heard one in person and they are to far away to go and try. I've also found a new old stock RA-100 head which is also too far away to try. I'd like to stick to Mesa if I could but I'm open to ideas if it does crunch mode better than a Mark V if you get my drift?

I would agree on the Roadster, stock tubes preferred or at least change V1 to something like a Tung Sol. However, I have compared both and found the Mark V in crunch mode with the gain all the way running two EV 1x12 cabs is hard to beat. Roadster gets there but more so in the Modern voice but that may be subjective at best. RA100 with Mullard EL34's is close but there will be more compression with those tubes. Quite a different amp as is the Roadster in comparison to the Mark V.

I nearly bought a roadster when I bought my dual recto but it had an ugly green tolex. That's a shame, I might try and play around with vintage on my recto. I can't imagine the roadster and rectos vintage modes being too different. I'm kind of wanting to buy a EL34 based kind of amp for something different. Mesa must be cooking something up to replace the Royal Atlantic.

I wish amp companies where like car companies and new when they where going to bring out a new model. Instead of blowing your hard earned cash then the latest and greatest comes out and immediately have buyers remorse.

There is the JP-2C but I cannot say much other than what I have heard in videos and such.

You could always run your Dual Recto with a full set of EL-34's. The Mark V sounds really good with 6CA7 or KT77 too (better than the small bottle EL-34).

Latest posts

Back