New Single Rectifier vs. my old Tremoverb and...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT_Marshmallow

Reaction score
... and I'm super impressed with the Single Rectifier! I bought it as a backup to my Tremoverb but now I'm not sure which amp should be the main act.

I spent the weekend playing the Single Rec constantly, and comparing it to my other amps. The Single Rec has an overall brighter sound than the Tremoverb, even with Treble, Mid, and Presence at zero. It seems better suited as an all-around rock amp rather than a metal amp. Actually, even in the Single Rec's modern mode with the gain turned up, I still don't see any chunky detuned metal happening with this thing without some serious boosting up front with pedals. The Tremoverb on the other hand almost sounds like the boost pedal is built-in and seems to have way more gain on tap. Also, the Single Rec's modern mode seems to feel and sound more like the Tremoverb's Blues mode rather than its Modern mode.

I'm using these amps in my 90s alternative rock tribute band and so far the Tremoverb has worked pretty well, but I might have found an even better fit with the Single Rec. It's also a fantastic match with my Carvin Legacy 212 with the stock Vintage 30s.

Only disappointment with the Single Rec is the completely useless effects loop, but, can't win em all...

DMTransmutation said:
... and I'm super impressed with the Single Rectifier! I bought it as a backup to my Tremoverb but now I'm not sure which amp should be the main act.

I spent the weekend playing the Single Rec constantly, and comparing it to my other amps. The Single Rec has an overall brighter sound than the Tremoverb, even with Treble, Mid, and Presence at zero. It seems better suited as an all-around rock amp rather than a metal amp. Actually, even in the Single Rec's modern mode with the gain turned up, I still don't see any chunky detuned metal happening with this thing without some serious boosting up front with pedals. The Tremoverb on the other hand almost sounds like the boost pedal is built-in and seems to have way more gain on tap. Also, the Single Rec's modern mode seems to feel and sound more like the Tremoverb's Blues mode rather than its Modern mode.

I'm using these amps in my 90s alternative rock tribute band and so far the Tremoverb has worked pretty well, but I might have found an even better fit with the Single Rec. It's also a fantastic match with my Carvin Legacy 212 with the stock Vintage 30s.

Only disappointment with the Single Rec is the completely useless effects loop, but, can't win em all...

Is it a version 1 or 2? I know a lot of the punk rock guys perferred the singles because they were more of a rock amp then the duals.

siggy14 said:
Is it a version 1 or 2?

Version 2! Speaking of which, I tried some Mesa EL34's in there and definitely liked the sound with those, but went back to the 6L6's for now. I'll have to compare them again with the amp opened up.

So maybe the preamp design is actually slightly different from the Dual/Triple, rather than just simply having half the headroom? Whatever it is, I'm diggin' it. I've got a Mesa vertical 2x12 coming today which I'm hoping matches well with it too...

DMTransmutation said:
siggy14 said:
Is it a version 1 or 2?

Version 2! Speaking of which, I tried some Mesa EL34's in there and definitely liked the sound with those, but went back to the 6L6's for now. I'll have to compare them again with the amp opened up.

So maybe the preamp design is actually slightly different from the Dual/Triple, rather than just simply having half the headroom? Whatever it is, I'm diggin' it. I've got a Mesa vertical 2x12 coming today which I'm hoping matches well with it too...

Preamp is probably the same, but since it doesnt have rect tubes and half the crap duals have it will sound different because less components.

siggy14 said:
DMTransmutation said:

Is it a version 1 or 2? I know a lot of the punk rock guys perferred the singles because they were more of a rock amp then the duals.

I was in the ol' Punk scene and I saw much more duals than I did singles. And more 3 channels than 2 channels.

Not to say the singles are better or worse. That is up to the particular player to decide. I like the single but I went with a Dual Rec because it had that je ne sais quoi that captured exactly the sound I wanted.

deeman said:
siggy14 said:
DMTransmutation said:

I was in the ol' Punk scene and I saw much more duals than I did singles. And more 3 channels than 2 channels.

Not to say the singles are better or worse. That is up to the particular player to decide. I like the single but I went with a Dual Rec because it had that je ne sais quoi that captured exactly the sound I wanted.

I should have mentioned before the 3 channels came out I saw some punk bands playing the single, the guy from Good Charlotte, the all american rejects are two I can name.

FYI I should mentioned I saw a lot of these punk bands before they got big, so all the could afford was probably the single at the time until they hit it big.

My sample size is from the 2002-2009 time period in Chicago so I guess what we can say is the pop punk/emo scene did embrace the whole rectifier line. :p

I love my single series2, but would reeaally love it if it had a tube rectifier also. I almost never run diode on my other mesas.
With a boost in front it turns into a beastly metal amp.

I love my Single Recto. It's a very early production Series I model. The cleans are nice, and the drive channel easily hangs with my bigger Rectos for anything from rock to metal. It's dialed in a little different than its big brothers, though. I don't view it as a backup despite my stash of other Rectos I keep around. It completely holds its own.

@siggy14 - Landon came over and was shocked when he plugged into it. He's heard all my Rectos from the years, and he still raved about the Single at next band practice.

Latest posts

Back