Dual Rec Fx Loop ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metrx360

Reaction score
Hey guys,
First off let me just say that I am relatively new to the whole tube amp game. I have been playing solid state Marshalls as well as the AVT line for the past couple years and I really got sick of the Marshall tone, so I bought a Mesa because all my favorite artist's tones were using them and they are so versatile its sick. Let me say this amp is the ****, theres nothing like it. Once I got the tones right (which took me days haha) I can now say Im in love with this thing.

My question for anyone who feels like responding is this. I am used to running my effects straight into the front of the amp, but i wanted to take advantage of the Dual Rec's FX loop capabilities so I am now playing into the loop. I can't get the settings to not make the amp really lose volume and sound mudded up when the loop is on thouhg. Sometimes if it annoys me enough I kick on the solo channel as well to boost the volume but I still dont quite have the mix settings right i dont think. Basically my question is, is there any way that I can set up the Mix and Send knobs so that when I kick on the FX loop it just sounds as if I were plugged into the front and I just added the effect by kicking it on?

Hope someone understands what I'm asking, thanks in advance, and sorry for the stupid newbie question heh.

Great Choice of Amps!

The only way I use the Effects loop on my Dual recto is to set the effects send on the back of my head to maximum, 10.

Then I have my preamp settings around 6.5-7.5

I then adjust my Loop master to the desired volume.

I have found that it is essential to run the Effects send on the back at max or I lose Tone and Attack.

I dont use pedals, I use a Rocktron intellifex which has two adjustable levels on its front panel. They are labeled, Input and Output. I have adjustem my effects such that I usually run these at 12 oclock.

You may have to alter your current effects settings, (those on the actual pedals), to achieve the desired sounds your getting by placing them in front. Although Im really not sure as I dont use pedals currently.

Not sure how your pedals will function with the method I use. Give it a shot and let us know. Someone with more experience with pedals may have better more appropriate advice.

Good luck,

and Welcome to BOOGIE TONE.

Hey thanks man. Ill give that a shot, Ive already changed the mix settings on my two line 6 modelers to 100% like they tell you to do in the manual but my other pedals dont have that control so maybe youre right, Ill have to do what I was dredding and change the effects settings hehe. Ill also give what you mentioned a shot, but I think I did already and it completely got rid of the effects tone in general. Im beginning to think I just have to fiddle around with both settings until I get it to where I want it, but its been more than Im up for since ive had to get all the tones on the front where I wanted them and that took forever because Im used to marshalls where they pretty much sound the same no matter what knob you turn hehe. At least the ones I used did. Thanks again for the input, Ill keep you posted.

mikey383 said:
I'll agree with keeping the send level maxed. That's the only way I will run mine. I also run it at 100% as well. No problems, only tone :)

I had to have the effects loop modded on mine, because the mix wasn't truely 100%, and when I used delays it would oscillate into a wall of mush. It sucks now though cos I can't turn off my effects loop with the footswitch.

Do you have that kind of problem or do you not use delay in your loop?

I have never had that problem.

What type of delay did you have this problem with?
Did you contact boogie? If so what did they reccomend?

zerofivefour said:

I was using a Boss DD-20. Mesa said it had something to do with phase cancellation, and they sent me a schematic to modify the effects loop from parallel to series. It only involved soldering and unsoldering a few wires from the mix pot- but like I said, now I can't use the footswitch :cry: .

Pretty weird I suppose.

the_meridian said:
zerofivefour said:

I was using a Boss DD-20. Mesa said it had something to do with phase cancellation, and they sent me a schematic to modify the effects loop from parallel to series. It only involved soldering and unsoldering a few wires from the mix pot- but like I said, now I can't use the footswitch :cry: .

Pretty weird I suppose.

****. That has to suck. I never have any problems with my delays, but then again, I only use rack effects, not pedals.

There should be a way that you can make the effects loop footswitchable again, I would think. The very first Rectos had an assignable series loop, and were footswitchable.

Try this before you go and start cutting wires...take a short cord and connect the loop send directly to the return. Set fx mix to 100% and set the level to be the same vol whether loop is on or off. Now hook up your fx (set 100% wet) and use the fx mix on the amp to blend it in. Worked on my triple, with a boss DD-6 and RV-5 in the loop.

I may corrected here, but this could be the problem. Some digital delays and reverbs will convert the dry signal to digital, thus allowing for a slight latency problem, very small, but noticable enough to cause a "comb filter" effect!

Latest posts

Back