One power tube taking longer to glow than the otheres?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iNate

Reaction score
I have a Mesa Lonestar Classic 2x12 using Mesa 6L6 tubes. I usually run it on 50 Watts for both channels, but regardless of settings (100/50/10 watts) that one power tube takes a little longer to start glowing. I know its not the rectifier tube either. I don't hear any difference in sound either. Big show this weekend and can't afford to get new power tubes and have them biased right now. But long story short....3 of the 4 power tubes glow immediately. One of them takes longer to start glowing. Not sure how long, but if the amp has been on for a little while, I'll look and they're all lit up.

iNate said:
I have a Mesa Lonestar Classic 2x12 using Mesa 6L6 tubes. I usually run it on 50 Watts for both channels, but regardless of settings (100/50/10 watts) that one power tube takes a little longer to start glowing. I know its not the rectifier tube either. I don't hear any difference in sound either. Big show this weekend and can't afford to get new power tubes and have them biased right now. But long story short....3 of the 4 power tubes glow immediately. One of them takes longer to start glowing. Not sure how long, but if the amp has been on for a little while, I'll look and they're all lit up.
Is this a new amp?

Have you tried swapping position to see if the trouble follows the tube?

If it is the tube it should be replaced to prevent damage to the amp if there is a power tube failure.

BTW- Mesa amps are non-adjustable fixed bias. Replacing with Mesa tubes is a plug-and-play situation, no biasing necessary.

HTH,
Dom

Are you referring to heater glow? If you have one tube that seems to glow dim compared to the rest it may have a crack in the glass envelope. I had a broken tube once but could not see any fractures in the tube, heater remained dim relative to the others.

You could do as what DomCT203 suggested by moving the one tube to a different position to observe if the issue stays with the tube or remains in the same position. You could also watch the tubes at power up, if there is any flash or flare on the heater and then goes dim chances are the tube is in need of replacement.

Back