Mesa Noob

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grey

Reaction score
Hello all!

I have recently gotten back in to playing music (had to take a break to start a family, you know how it goes) and it is time to buy a new amp. I have always wanted a Boogie but they've always been out of my price range. Well, now I have a little cash to spend but to be honest, I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the different models Mesa has out there. What I'm looking for is a combo, less than $1000 that would be in the say, 30-50 watt range. It needs to be loud enough to get me through rehearsals and gigs, but I don't plan of any arena shows soon, so anything louder is probably unnecessary at this point. :)

My new band will be doing covers to start, stuff like Sabbath, Rush, Rage, Alice and what not. Eventually we'll move on to originals of a 'metal-y' nature. We're all in to Metallica, Megadeth, Maiden and the like.

So my question to you Mesa experts is: what are your recommendations?

Honestly, without being funny. I recommend saving up a bit more money.
Get a mini dual rectifier combo or maybe a mark V 30.
Or save up even more money and get the full size version of either. You'll need the headroom for more thrashier styles. And you'll get the option to switch the power down for the more classic metal sounds.
In my experience if I try and circumvent my desire for an amp by buying a stripped down version of it, it never works out for me.

The other thing is, if you're gigging you want the bigger versions. By running the master volume lower, you're putting less strain on the valves. Now I'm not scared of getting inside valve amps. I've modded plenty and built my own. However only last Thursday I went to the valve shop which isn't too far from me and is a Mesa stockist. I wanted EL34's for my Mark V. I know the Mesa valves are just JJ's that Mesa have matched up, yet cost twice as much. So I was going to ask them to match me up some JJ E34L's (my faves) to Mesa green label sort of values. At the last moment I backed out and just shelled the extra out for the Mesa matched valves to not void the warranty.
I can imagine that would get expensive if I was going through valves every 4 months like I do with my self built 18 watt amp that I constantly run near max volume.

I hate to be "that guy" and give a suggestion outside your preferences, but you should be able to pick up a used Rectifier head and non-mesa cabinet within your budget. A lot of that music is going to sound better (and have more punch) with a closed back cabinet anyway.

If you want new and a Mesa, a $1000 won't quite be enough unfortunately. I don't believe they have anything in a 1x12 combo in that price range. Now, if you open yourself up to buying used (which there are plenty of great options with that) your choices vastly improve. I would think giving your parameters that a Mark V:35 1x12 combo would suit you very nicely. With that being said, they run 1799 new. Other options in a 1x12 combo form would be an Express 5:25 (1349) or the Recto-verb (1249). All are 2 channels and can get you some very versatile tones at reasonable volumes. Good luck in your search and welcome back to the Mesa family!

Oh yeah, should have mentioned that I am in the 'used' market. I played a Transatlantic 30 this weekend and I liked it OK, but did not care for the way the controls were laid out. The Recto-Verb is the one I have been gravitating towards but I can't find one anywhere to test drive. I'll check out the other recommendations, too.

I strongly recommend you try an F50 combo. They are often <$700 used and are very nice amps. Cuts through well and very flexible. The Express has more bells and whistles, but I actually preferred the F50.

You could also find a used Mark III combo in that range and maybe even a Mark IV.

Alternatively, you can find a Mini Rectifier for <$700 and pair it with a Recto 2x12 horizontal for about $400. Put the 2x12 on its side and crank it up. Fantastic amp. You can also get a Rectoverb 25 combo for $1000, but I didn't like the sound of that combo, I think recto and bigger closed-back cabs are a better match.

I agree with the guys about getting a closed back cab. If you're mainly going to be playing heavy rock and metal then a closed back is almost a necessity. And get in a music store to see what mesa flavor you like best. Those bands you mentioned used a lot of marshalls, so a mark might fit best. Stiletto series are great amps. If you buy used you can rest assured knowing that a mesa will hold its value. So if you end up with the wrong amp you can always flip it and not lose anything.

Back