Mark V25 head or Roadking V1 head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What would you do?

• Keep the Mark V25

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Trade for the Roadking V1

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters

Amigone9012

Reaction score
I have a Mark V25 head that I like alot, the cleans on it are amazing and i love the Mark IIc+ mode on channel two.

I've been looking for something with more tonal options and was wanting to move up to the Mark V90.

Well I have been offered a very appealing trade for a Roadking V1 head which seems to have more tonal options then any other Mesa amp.

What I'm wondering is what would you do if you were in this situation.

Ive had rectifiers before and liked them alot but im just wondering what I would be giving up.

I play mostly classic and alt rock

Classic & Alt Rock? Stick with the Mark, especially if you are a fan of the IIC+ tone.

The only exception is if you are playing with a loud band and need more headroom, but even then I would go with the MKV.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Roadster & it's my #1, but I'm playing more modern rock-ish stuff & the Recto fits better than the MKV (I'll never part with either).

Dom

I voted to stick with the Mark V25. The dual may have more tonal options, but are they really the tonal options that would work better for you (given what you listed as the music you play) than the Mark series. I play through a Mark amp (Mark IV) and while I don't do any alt rock, I find it has plenty options for all that I do.

If you need the extra horsepower, you can always trade "up" and go with the full blown Mark V.

Whichever way you go, I hope it works out for you.

Keep the V:25. The Roadking is an absolute beast to try to haul around. If you want more tonal options, get a Mini Rectifier or Rectoverb 25. That, plus the V:25 gets you 4 channels, including IIC+ AND Rectifier, and you can run in stereo if you want. All you would need is a 2-channel loop switch or you could go all-out and run a G System or GCX to control everything.

I have both a Roadking 2 and a Mark V:25...take this as just my opinion as everyone has their own...since I have gotten my Mark, my Roadking collects dust. I haven't needed the headroom as 25 watts is loud.. I like the Mark's sound better. But I will say a Rec is much easier to play through, the Mark is so articulate it really makes you a better player, it's not forgiving, a rec is very forgiving. I've never owned a 90 watt Mark V, but my best friend has one, it seems cold and sterile compared to the little Mark, I've been honestly shocked by this and from my experience would not recommend a full size Mark. The mini Mark is warmer and hotterin my opinion than the full size.

Thanks for all the replies :D

I decided to pull the trigger and trade for the Roadking to see how I like it, worse case scenario I can always just sell it and get another Mark V25

I only payed $990 for my Mark V25 and I see the Roadkings still fetching $400 or more dollars above that so I saw the deal as in my favor

Ill let you guys know what I think when it comes in, its being shipped from CA to FL so I have to wait a full week :(

~Amigone9012~

I actually just checked ebay and a RK1 with FS just went for $1600 Buy it now option

I could possibly turn this and get another Mark V25 and a Tremoverb if it does not work out

I think this was a good trade!

nathan28 said:
... the Mark is so articulate it really makes you a better player, it's not forgiving, a rec is very forgiving. ...
This is quite true. When I first got my Mark IV, I was a little disappointed. Why? Every mistake I made came through. But, the good side is that having played through it now for a number of years, I can definitely say that it has made me a better player (which is a good thing!).
nathan28 said:
... I've never owned a 90 watt Mark V, but my best friend has one, it seems cold and sterile compared to the little Mark, I've been honestly shocked by this and from my experience would not recommend a full size Mark. The mini Mark is warmer and hotterin my opinion than the full size. ...
Thanks for sharing that. I never knew that about the V. Our local dealer is far enough away that I only go there rarely. I have seen a lot of different Mesas there, but never a V.

I will be curious as to what the OP chooses.

I love the Road King and have played classic rock right up through newer stuff, though no metal. When paired with lower output (and especially single coil) pickups, they sound fantastic for that stuff. My only complaint is that I can't have Tweed, Brit and a clean channel.

I know I'm late and the OP already made a choice, but anyway...

Unlike many others, I voted for "Trade for RK".

Yes, the V:25 can do certain tones that the Road King cannot quite cop. Yes, the Road King is a pain to lug around. And yes, the RKI has certain shortcomings that the RKII update fixed.

But all that said, any Roadking is one helluva amp. A Mark V:25 isn't really in the same class. A Road King offers a downright ridiculous arsenal of different tones, thanks to its modes combined with Progressive Linkage. For classic rock, just switch to that pair of EL34s and pick a medium-gain mode (Tweed, Brit or Raw, whichever works best for you) and you're set. Beyond that, you will get tons of tones that no Mark amp can produce. And if you miss those tight/focused high gain tones, just add an OD pedal in front.

I think you made the right choice. Heck, I would have made the same choice and still would. (For what it's worth, I currently own a Mark V and a Road King II.)

nathan28 said:
I've never owned a 90 watt Mark V, but my best friend has one, it seems cold and sterile compared to the little Mark, I've been honestly shocked by this and from my experience would not recommend a full size Mark. The mini Mark is warmer and hotterin my opinion than the full size.

I think your experience has to do with the nature of the 6L6 tubes a 90W Mark V comes with. That's what they sound/feel like compared to EL84s. Put some quality EL34s in a big Mark (I use Svetlana =C= EL34s in mine) and it becomes an entirely different animal - more aggressive, more organic. The general feel of a big V on EL34s feel resembles a V:25 but its bigger iron and headroom give it a deeper voice and more thump that you can feel in your chest. The Extreme mode on 90 watts of pentode EL34 power is simply monstrous.

Not saying either is strictly better than the other. Some people are just as happy with 6L6s in their Vs.

ofCqZDvl.jpg

Jv8NtbTl.jpg

I got the Roadking 1 today and had a chance to tube it and hook it up, It's late so I did not turn the volume up but everything seems to work fine.

Only issue is the Pilot light is out, I unscrewed it and it looks like its just a tiny bulb so hopefully they are easy to find.

So far I'm very happy with it :D

Quick Question.. Do you need to amp in Standby or off when changing the Progressive Linkage settings or rectifier settings? I don't want to try to change them with the amp on and blow anything.

Amigone9012 said:
Quick Question.. Do you need to amp in Standby or off when changing the Progressive Linkage settings or rectifier settings? I don't want to try to change them with the amp on and blow anything.

Standby is fine for changing tube configuration. I have had my roadking V1 for many years and still love the amp.

LesPaul70 said:
nathan28 said:
I've never owned a 90 watt Mark V, but my best friend has one, it seems cold and sterile compared to the little Mark, I've been honestly shocked by this and from my experience would not recommend a full size Mark. The mini Mark is warmer and hotterin my opinion than the full size.

I think your experience has to do with the nature of the 6L6 tubes a 90W Mark V comes with. That's what they sound/feel like compared to EL84s. Put some quality EL34s in a big Mark (I use Svetlana =C= EL34s in mine) and it becomes an entirely different animal - more aggressive, more organic. The general feel of a big V on EL34s feel resembles a V:25 but its bigger iron and headroom give it a deeper voice and more thump that you can feel in your chest. The Extreme mode on 90 watts of pentode EL34 power is simply monstrous.

Not saying either is strictly better than the other. Some people are just as happy with 6L6s in their Vs.

Yep, EL34's made the amp nearly perfect for me. The 6L6's are biassed way too cold (and EL34's are biased a bit hot in this amp) I'm happy with the mesa rebranded JJ's for now. The mid range and low mids really come to the fore. The amp is musical rather than the sterile hifi sound that cold 6L6's gave.
I think even the clean channel sounds better. OK it doesn't chime like it did with 6L6's but it's nice and fat sounding now. And tweed sounds awesome.

Latest posts

Back