Simul-Class tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hollis

Reaction score
What do you think the Simul-Class tone is? My Electra Dyne I always felt sounded better in 45 watt mode. What would an Electra Dyne or Mark V sound like with a non-Simul-Class power section? What does it actually do for the tone/feel?

I'm curious about the same thing. The new JP 2C got me thinking about it.

Remember that Simul-Class is supposed to give Class A tone with better efficiency. So class A backed up with class AB.

Class A is terribly inefficient, sending less than 25% of the power it consumes to the speaker. So it can get a bit anemic. Class AB is more efficient, so it can provide more power to the speaker without having to run super-hot.

In the actual implementation, both sections are actually class AB, but one is running hotter, closer to class A. That hotter class A-ish section is also giving less power to the speaker than the cooler class AB section.

IMO:
The hot class A-ish section gives a looser feel with more linearity. The cooler class AB section gives tons of power for big low-end, but also more harmonic content, including some less-desirable harmonic structure.

So for me, the class AB in, say, a JP2C, is nice because it gives a tighter, punchier tone and huge dynamics. In my Electradyne and the Mark V it gives a bit more sag and looseness, at the expense of some dynamics and stiffness.

Lately I've really been enjoying my Simul 2:90 poweramp by just plugging my guitar straight into it. The tone is so great and gives me just the feel I want from my pick attack, and I've been pondering about how much of this we can attribute to the "Simul-Class" thing. It's funny that I haven't touched my Triaxis in months now because I've just been running various pedals into just the 2:90, treating it like a Fender Twin or something. That presence knob is really all I need...

Personally, I like Class A and Class A/B. I don't like them mixed though. It seems a little sterile sounding on my Mark V. Consequently I use it at 45watts for gigging and 10watts at home.

I've not had chance to record with it yet. So I don't know how Simulclass would work out for that. Given that 10watts, while I like it on channel 3. Does get too mushy for any serious situation. Simulclass may be a nice way to deliver some part of that into a recorded sound.
Hypothetically

Come to think of it, the last gig I played that had a decent soundman who uses a Recto himself. Insisted on the amp being set to 90watts and turned down.
Went out front after he'd done his thing for a listen. Liked what he'd done, a lot.

I have been thinking this over as well. When I first got my Mark V I preferred to use it in 45W with variac power more than the 90W full power since the amp was not as brittle that way. (may be due to the hot bias of the extended class A circuit). When I had my Mark IV, I did not care much for just using the class A so I only used it at full power. Sterile may be a good description when compared to the Roadster or RA100 Class A/B power section. I even tried to slave the Roadster from the FX loop with the Mark V (send with a dummy plug in the return) and did not notice much of a difference in tonal character from the Mark V preamp driving the power section of the Roadster. It worked quite well but did not alter the tone to any extent to note a difference.

In all honesty, I prefer to use either the RA100 or Roadster as I have found the character of those two amps to be pleasing. However, as of late I had experimented with different speakers (after I have converted my Mark V head to a combo) and found the ALNICO type speaker cured the sterility of the simiul-class amp. I have always known that the clean channel will never really blossom with a sealed cabinet (reason for head to combo conversion). I had first ventured with the EVM12L but found that too sterile more than the MC90 unless the amp is pushing the limits of the speaker the EV just dishes it out with ease. What blew me away were the Jensen Jet blackbird and the Celestion Cream ALNICO 90W. Hands down to the Celestion Cream 90W speaker as it does an awesome job for the heavy metal, hard rock and blues. It may color the clean channel a bit differently than the Jensen but it is just ear candy to me. So far, I have been using the 90W power mode at full power without any issues with the speaker. This would have to be the first time period that I actually prefer the STR440 6L6 in the Mark V.

As much as I like the JP2C for I am tempted to get one to replace the Mark V (I would find it hard to let it go now that I have experienced what the amp should sound like), I would jump on it if Mesa would offer it with a 2x12 combo format. I could care less how much it would weigh. My most favored amp is the RA100 Comob ( I have the head as well with matching 412 cab, both amps sound identical through the 412 cab but through the combo speakers (celestion G12H75 creambacks it is amazing). I have even considered the Roadster combo too. I still like the Mark V for what it is and now that I have finally bonded with it, if another amp comes along it will just be added to my arsenal vs trading or selling one to get something else.

Sorry if I am appearing to plug speakers. I am not. A different speaker may make a difference with one style of power section vs the other.

Back