Mark V Combo Boss NS-2 and TC Sentry tone sucking

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alamakluke

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've had my Mesa Boogie Mark V combo now for just over 2 years and I love it. Now recently I had to replace all my tubes which is normal. That's all I had to do.

Now I notice that channel#2 and channel#3 is becoming very noisy. Well I say very but to some it might just be normal. I am talking about the hiss of channel#3 especially and just the humming of both channel#2 and channel#3. So I decided to buy the TC Sentry gate pedal. I installed the Sentry pedal at the beginning of my effects loop. My issue is that the pedal is sucking a lot of the highs in my tone. It really changes my tone and I don't like it. I cranked up the presence and treble on the channel to try to compensate but my tone is not the same at all. So I brought back the Sentry pedal back to the store.

Today I bought the old Boss NS-2 and this pedal is doing the exact same thing as the Sentry. I currently have the NS-2 hooked up using the X method so all 4 jacks are being used. If I shut down the NS-2 and previously the Sentry my tone is back so I know it's something to do with the pedal and my effects loop. Right now my effects loop knob is set at 12 0'clock.

If I cannot get this pedal to stop sucking some of my tone I will return it as well. I have read many posts on the internet and many posts are miss leading. I am hoping that someone here has the same pedal and amp as me and can direct me the right way.

Thanks in advance

Thanks APEMAN for the reply. I am using Mogami cables so I should be ok there. Do you know what is the signal level of the effect loop when the dial is at 12 o'clock? Is it +4db or something else?

My TC Flashback delay and my TC Dreamscape pedals don't have any issue with the effect loop dial at 12 o'clock.

When I get home tonight I will dial it down and see what happens. If that is the issue I will return the Boss NS-2 and pick up the TC Sentry again since I personally like the look of the Sentry better. But as long as it works.

Thanks

Just wanted to thank APEMAN for the suggestion and that was the culprit. I turn down the effect knob to 9 o'clock and the Boss NS-2 pedal is not affecting my tone anymore. :p

My amp is still noisy though, I think it's a ground issue. I will try a different power outlet and see if that makes any difference.

Latest posts

Back