So I Suddenly own 3 Boogie's- a Mk. III, a V & a Maverick

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forgivenman

Reaction score
I wasn't planning on having so many, it just sort of happened. Two years ago I re-bought a Mark III greenstripe because I owned one years ago and it was the best amp I had ever owned hands down. Of course I sold it for "the next best thing" but there just was never anything else that sounded quite like it. When one came up for sale on another forum a few years ago I was able to snatch it up and I've frankly been in tonal heaven. The clean is blackface Fender and can be pushed into great gritty rhythm tones. R2 sounds best with the volume up for a truly crunchy rhythm and sounds great boosted with my Barber BU for leads. Channel 3 always brings out my inner shredder which I've come to embrace. I just can't say enough good things about these amps.

So, I thought, I'm done. Quest over.
Nope!

My brother has stopped playing guitar and he bought a Mk. V when they first came out several years ago. So, out of curiosity I asked him to let me borough it. Good grief, this is a seriously great amp. I haven't decided which mode I like best but there are just so many useable tones to be had though out the spectrum. It's the kind of amp that actually makes me want to play guitar more and fiddle with knobs less. If I were to sell my Mk. III it would be to buy my brother's V. I actually have owned a IVa but just never bonded with it.

So, tone quest over. I'm all done. I've landed.
Nope.

For whatever reason I began to lust after the Dumble tone thing so when a 112 Maverick came up for sale at a very reasonable price on another forum I picked it up and WOW- what an amp. The clean is so full and 3D sounding. You can push it for a great in-between sound. It's spungy and thick too. The lead channel is very nice- I keep the gain up high and use it for a plexi style tone and then kick in a Barber Burn Unit EQ for lead tones.

Verdict- I feel guilty about having three great amps and there is definitely plenty of overlap between the three. I'm sure I'll eventually sell one but I for the time being I'm very grateful to have the opportunity to have such a wide spectrum of tones available and so very impressed with Mesa's tones and build quality.

Just thought I'd share.

The opposite thing happened to me, I had three MESA's and now have only one! I sold my Mark lll and studio pre-amp/295 set-up so I could justify buying a JP2C and then traded my C+ for a C++ and now I could care less about the JP2C. I do have other amps for back ups if needed and will pick up a JP2C after I try one.

Back