Single Recto & Stiletto Deuce A/B/Y

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bickleyt

Reaction score
Alright guys...

Fairly new to the forum so HI! :)

I have a Single Recto and a Stiletto Deuce that I want to set up to A/B/Y. I am using a whirlwind A/B/Y box to switch on my pedalboard.

mesaaa5_zps3k7jtdm9.jpg

I ideally want to run it through a standard recto 4x12 cab in stereo (8ohm split).

What sort of results have you had with this?

I also have a recto 2x12 cab, so I could put one amp through the 2x12 and one amp through the 4x12, but that is a lot of cabs to be carrying around!

Long and short of it... with i get a kickass result with a stereo cab setup?

Yes you would, even better with two cabs. Just EQ one for more lower mids and the other for upper mids.

I've never tried it myself with my amps, but depending on the number of gain stages in each of the amps you could end up out of phase between the amps, which would sound bad between two cabs and even worse in one cab split to stereo.

If you hook it all up and it sounds like poo, try reverse signal phase on one of the amps. You can change the phase anywhere in the signal path once it is split.

HTH,
Dom

Hi gents!

Thank you very much for your advice. I decided to go with your advice and put the single recto(A) through the Mesa 2x12 and the Deuce(B) through the 4x12.

Plugged everything in last night:

mesarig_zpsfmdxcf79.jpg

Didn't get any noticeable Phase between the amps which is a good sign. Sounded pretty huge to be honest. I didn't get a massive amount of time to play around but I have some time in the next week or so. I'll try and get some sound clips of the amps together.

I have looked into the Mesa Boogie High Gain Switchers before but not had much luck. I assume they are pretty rare beasts?

I use a similar setup. I have a Roadster 2x12 combo and a Stiletto Ace 2x12 combo. I use a Radial Tone Bone ABY switcher. It has a ground switch and a phase switch. The midrange tone of the stiletto combined with the bottom end punch from the recto make for a massive sound when combined. I plan on going with midi switchers from RJM (Amp Gizmo) This will reduce the amount of switching needed. Change amps, channels and effects. With your set up, I would put the recto in the 4x12 to handle the bottom and the Stiletto in the 2x12 cab.

I had a bit of play over the weekend and set the Stiletto through the 4x12 and recto through the 2x12.

Haven't had chance to switch them around but from what you have said above I will get a better result with the Recto through the 4x12. Will give it a blast and see how it compares. I am pretty happy with it so far.

Also, I have had a look at the Radial Headbone in the past... is it definitely worth the investment? I using a whirlwind A/B/Y at the moment and it works really well for me.

setup_zpssd5pbhdj.jpg

I used a Radial Headbone for years and I can tell you that it worked out very well for me. I was running a Triple Rectifier alongside a MusicMan HD130 into a 4x12 Recto Cab. I left the Headbone hooked up back near my heads and just ran an external 1-button footswitch out near the front of the stage. It was a pretty slick setup, but I got tired of lugging around all that gear and consolidated to my Roadster with a 2x12 Recto cab.

I never owned the switch you have from Whirlwind so unfortunately I can't compare. I went straight to the Radial Headbone because a friend of mine freaked me out with regard to damaging my heads by using the cheaper A/B/Y switch I already owned. It didn't supply a "dummy load" for the head that's not in use. The Radial has "standby load resisters" to tackle that problem. I'm definitely not an expert on all of this stuff though, so that's why I just went with the somewhat-expensive Radial just to be safe.

EDIT: Sorry, I missed the part where you were you were running each head into a separate cab, so I guess you currently don't have a load issue. If you wanted to consolidate and only take 1 cab to gigs, or run both heads to both cabs in series though, the Radial would obviously help you out.

Nice rig by the way. I've never had the pleasure of playing through a Stiletto.

Latest posts

Back