Does a cab itself really matter?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spiralizer

Reaction score
Hey all,

I was wavering between a rectoverb 25 and a Mark V 25. I've now made the decision to go with the Mark V. The problem is that I'll be left with little money for a cab.

My question is, do you think a cheaper cab would sound good as long as I put a good speaker (v30) in it? Sorry for the dumb question but I've always played combos. This will be my first Mesa and I want it to be the best experience I can afford.

The cab makes a HUGE difference. And not just expensive vs. budget, but also the actual design. Open/closed/ported, big/small, 1x12/2x12/4x12. Mating a cab to a head is a bit of an art, and usually requires at least a couple tries.

In general, best price/performance seems to come with 2x12 cabs. The recto cabs mate nicely with a lot of amps, but I'm getting better results these days for the tone I want with partial open 2x12 cabs like the 3/4-back 2x12 and Royal Atlantic/Electradyne 2x12.

If you search this forum you'll find hundreds of opinions on this. Personally, for a Mark V, I'd go with a 2x12 vertical recto.

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, to get the Mark V means having to look for a cheaper cab. I've got a v30 at home so I was thinking of throwing it in a 1x12 Fender Bassbreaker cab and hoping for the best. I only play in my basement with a drummer occasionally so a 2x12 may be a bit much.

Or my other option is to get a rectoverb head and a Mesa cab. But after hearing the Mark V get that tight metal tone I love, it would be tough to not get it.

I have had great success using avatar speaker cabs. My mark V loves their vintage semi open back 2x12 and their vintage 1x12 closed back which is oversized. Check them out.

I'll do that, thanks!

EDIT:

WOW! Those cabs look great and are priced perfectly! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

I picked up a second-hand Triaxis/2:90 a few months ago. Physical space and budget were both a concern so I opted for a Marshall 1912 1x12 cab. It's pretty low-end happy, but I'm pretty happy with it.

I have to say, though, I plugged the Tri/2:90 into my brother's Mini Recto 1x12 and it was AWESOME. Better punch and general definition on the pretty much the whole range of the guitar: 6- and 7-string.

Stu

Hmmmm...Well now I suppose the question has officially changed. I played mostly metal/rock...and It's either a Mark V25 with a cheap 1x12 cab or Rectoverb 25 with a good 1x12 cab.

I really appreciate the responses and I get something new to think about each time.

Spiralizer said:
Hmmmm...Well now I suppose the question has officially changed. I played mostly metal/rock...and It's either a Mark V25 with a cheap 1x12 cab or Rectoverb 25 with a good 1x12 cab.

I really appreciate the responses and I get something new to think about each time.
Are you planning on playing with other people in the future? Because a 25 watt 1x12 won't cut it playing metal/rock with a band, so I'd get the cheaper cab since you'll be buying a larger cab down the line anyway.

Even if you're pretty sure a 1x12 will be enough cab for you, I'd probably still go with a nicer head and cheaper cab -- in my experience cabs are more of a pain to sell and don't hold their value as well as heads.

I'll be playing in my basement....sometimes with a drummer but not a bassist or anything. I want to make sure I don't get too loud and piss the neighborhood off. I'm trying to find that sweet spot I suppose.

I think you are right though...I'd rather have a badass head with a cheaper cab that I can upgrade down the road than the other way around. I keep hearing a looseness in the recto 25 that I don't like. I don't think any cab would fix that.

Get the amp you really want, that makes you smile, and gets the tone you want. There are always cabinets and raw speakers used on thegearpage.net and Craigslist. Start with the amp. It is much cheaper and easier to try different cabinets and even speakers in one cabinet in your tone quest. If the amp doesn't work for you, no cabinet will get you what you seek.

Good luck and welcome to the curse/joy of Gearmania.

Thanks! I can already tell it's an addictive and deep rabbit hole. But your right. I'd better get the amp I want while I am able.

I was faced with a similar dilemma, I ended up with a Mark V head and an Avatar 2x12" contemporary cab (they go on sale for $388 every so often). The cab is loaded with V30's and sounds great. No regrets at all.

Yeah man, I've been looking at Avatar cabs...really cool way to customize your rig. I had no idea they existed before this thread. I see one in my near future...

Dave at Avatar is a great guy and very honest. I've known him for lots of years. There are LOTS of cab makers out there, many of whom make great cabs so you will have no end of choices. Avatar is good value, one of many.

I find the traditional g212, with the dumble style oval back is a great balance between open and closed back cabs. I find it has more low end and punch than an open back but more airiness than a closed back. I also use a mismatched pair of speakers to take advantage of that design?

In the 1x12, I love the vintage. It is oversized so it has a bigger sound. Mesa made me a wide body 1x12 to match my heads, but Dave made me a vintage 1x12 vintage in the same finish. The avatar just sounds much richer and bigger than the Mesa cab to me that I use it as my main 1x12.

But that's all my preferences. Good luck! Have fun!

Great info! I was eyeballing the signature 1x12 with a v30. I want to grab that tight early metallica tone if I can and not break the bank. Looks like Avatar is going to work out :)

morgan138 said:
Are you planning on playing with other people in the future? Because a 25 watt 1x12 won't cut it playing metal/rock with a band, so I'd get the cheaper cab since you'll be buying a larger cab down the line anyway.

I'm going to respectfully disagree. I absolutely thought the same way you did before so I get what you are saying, but experimenting has changed my mind.

If you use an efficient speaker (V30 is very efficient) and tilt your cab so it is not aimed at your feet, you will have no problem being heard with a 1x12 and a V25.

I 've played my last 4 practices with the setup you see below and I barely broke 9 o'clock. 1x12 Widebody front ported closed back cab with a V30.

I play in a 2 guitar band. Very loud drummer.
We play Motley Crue, Metallica, Alice in chains, Judas priest etc...

The key is as I said to use an efficient speaker and to tilt the speaker up. I think the reason people struggle hearing 1x12's is they are so low to the ground and people have them aiming at there feet.

If I don't tilt it back, then you are correct, it can't be heard. But I throw a 20 inch piece of a pool noodle I bought from the dollar store under the front to tilt it back and it is roaring. Plus it stays in contact with the ground so you don't lose the bass coupling.

I can actually play the crunch channel in 10 watt mode with that cab and have no problem being heard.

DSC_0006_zpskg3ltzsd.jpg

That's the thing...I'll only need a 1x12 because I play with a drummer only. We play in my basement and I have a bar down there...after clearing the beer glasses off of it, I'll put the amp up there making it about face level. If it doesn't cut it, I can always add another cab I suppose.

IMO you should not overlook a 1x12 thiele cab . . . they have great bass response, tight (exactly what you want), good portability and sounds wonderfull, THE perfect match for any Mark series amp.

and you will not have problems find one used in a great condition for usd 300-ish. If you found one EV loaded, grab it!! but the c90 loaded are also very cool 8)

Cheap cabs often sound like crap. Mesa makes some of the best in the business.

Get a used Mesa 1 x 12 or 2 x 12 and save $$$s. If you can track down an RA 27" Extension cab, this thing really rocks.

Back