Purchasing First Mesa Amp - Mark V 35 or Express 550 plus

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fogs_Blues

Reaction score
Hello all

I am new to this forum.
I am considering my very first Mesa Boogie amp and I have some questions.

I am trying to decide between the Mark V 35 and the Express 550 Plus.
There are no Mesa dealers anywhere near me, so I can only listen to demos online, so I decided to ask other Mesa owners for their help.

I play mostly blues and classic rock.
As far as gear:

Fender Strat MIM, heavily modded with Lollar pups, Wilkinson trem, CTS pots, Switchcraft 5 way switch and output jacks, locking tuners, graphtech nut
DBZ Bolero, heavily modded with SD Alnico II pro pups, Schaller roller bridge, CTS pots, Switchcraft 3 way switch and output jacks, graphtech nut
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster

From what I can hear the 2 amps (heads) sound very close. Its difficult to see the exact settings the demos are using.
I have listened to clean, blues, rock setting for both
Is the 6L6 based amp more vintage? Is the EL84 amp more modern?
Both seem to be very versatile.

I guess I am looking for what other Mesa owners can tell me about each of these amps.

I am looking for 1 amp that I can use at home (comfortably, volume wise) but can gig with
I want an amp that can handle pedals very well, so enough headroom
Looking for musical cleans. Cleans that are not just sterile, but with harmonic overtones

Any information would be greatly appreciated
I have been searching for the right amp for months and am down to Mesa and PRS

Sorry for the long post
Thank you all in advance for your responses and help

I had a similar situation and my solution:
Get a lightly used Mark V. The regular Mark V heads go for about 1700-1800 gently used, the same price as a new Mark V35.
The warranty is transferable, so the 2013 model I bought this last month still has 2 years left on the warranty. Just saying.
-P

While the two amps look similar as far as features, they are worlds apart in tone and concept. The Mark series is mesa's signature tones and their flagship series (closely followed by the rectifiers). The Express is a little more "entry level" more generic tone. I've owned both. I didn't keep the express plus too long. My main amp is a big mark V and my smaller amp is a V:25. If you can afford it, go for a Mark series. A used markV would be the only amp you need to achieve pretty much any tone. Your choice of a V:35 would be great too. Don't think twice, go with a Mark series.

Appreciate the replies.

I will look into finding a gently used Mark V.
I like the idea of the 6L6 power section over the EL84

If anyone has the Mark V 35, how is the headroom for pedals?
Also, how much of a difference in bottom end is their from the Mark V and the Mark V 35?

Always thought EL84's sounded way too mid heavy.

Hard to tell with demos online. No Mesa dealers anywhere near where I live.

Again, thanks for all the information. It is much appreciated

Go with a used Mark V. That is a good entry level Mesa/Boogie on the Mark Series side. Here is my reasoning: If you want to find out if you like Mesa/Boogie amps, start with a flagship model, in this case the Mark V. If you like it, great! You will not regret your purchase and you will avoid the desire to "upgrade" because you will already be using a top tier amp. If you do not like it, than chances are you won't like Mesa's other amps either. Either way, you will know and you can say you gave Mesa a fair shot.

If you start with an Express, you didn't give Mesa a fair chance. Is it a bad amp? Not necessarily. Can all Mesa/Boogie amplifiers be judged based off the Express? No. I'm not suggesting the Mark V is representative of every Mesa/Boogie amplifier either, but its an informative example of what top tier Mesa amplifiers sound like.

I don't think the Mark V is the best amp Mesa currently makes, and I don't think lower tier Mesa's are "wastes of space," but those conversations can be had another time. 8)

I will offer a different opinion to consider since nobody else has just for grins! :lol:

I have owned my Mark V since they were first released and Yes, it is a fantastic amp for my needs! However, just because a 3 channel amp with incredibly versatility (3 modes per channel, power settings, etc.) works well for me doesn't mean it is right for everyone and in fact, isn't for many people. I also own the Mini MarkV which is also a cool amp in its own right.

However, the OP was considering a MkV 35 or Express Plus 550 both of which are 2 channel amps with selectable modes and power settings. And btw, the 5:50 Plus uses 6L6 tubes just like the big MkV if that is ones preference. While it is true the MkV:25 and 35 offers 3 modes per channel while the Express 5:50 Plus only offers 2 modes per channel, I actually prefer the layout of the Express Plus for a 2 channel amp primarily because of the "Blues Mode" offering in Ch2. This allows a nice lower gain option in Ch2 of which the MkV:25 or 35 really does not. All 3 modes in Ch2 of the Mini Marks are high gain options. And yes, I do know that there are some good "bluesy sound" offerings in Ch2 with lower gain settings, but when set that way you don't have the more iconic high gain sound offerings available in Ch2 while playing in a band.

I don't agree with some people to automatically go for the "flagship Mark V amp" as their first Boogie Amp. There have definitely been some people out that don't gel with the Mark V (too many options/features, etc.) that might actually bond better with the Express Plus Series. It really just depends on individual preferences/needs.

I recently purchased a 5:25 Plus combo amp and in some ways prefer it to my MkV:25 and even my "Big Mark V" in some ways. Just a thought....

Absolutely love my Express 5 50 plus. Like having two amps. Also, the clean channel takes pedals so well. My amp in a box pedals end up sounding just like the amps they are supposed to.

I would get an F50 or 5:50. I love 6L6 amps, and having tried EL84 and EL34 amps, find them very mid-heavy with little low end or headroom.

I have owned two F50 (combo and head) and they are fantastic.

I would also consider a Single Rectifier or Rectoverb. It is a great rock amp. For even bigger, Tremoverb is a very nice rock amp.

I know OP only listed two different amps, but I have to chime in here. Why not consider the Lonestar or Lonestar Special? From what you described that was the first amp choice that automatically jumped into my mind. Your two choices are fine and they're great amps with out a doubt, but IMO the Lonestar, per your needs, trumps them both. Just my 2 cents.

If you're playing blues and classic rock, I would suggest the Lone Star as a viable option. They sound great with pedals too.

I never liked either of those amps but its all really what your ears and heart tell you. I liked my rectoverb 50w I played for 15 years. Had a tremoverb half stack prior and currently using a Road King 2 combo which I think is the best of all worlds. But its really what is in your budget and what you feel is right. Dont listen to what other people tell you to buy. Buy what your heart and ears say is right.

I know this isn't one of the original choices, but I think a Transatlantic (either TA-15 or TA-30) should be on the list. Mark amps are too compressed for my tastes, and while I have enjoyed all 3 Express amps that I've owned, the Transatlantic series nails the tones that I think the OP would enjoy.

That said, there's not really a bad choice in this thread. Your guitar and fingers are even more important than the amp you choose. Have fun!!!

Back