Where to buy Blue Angel pots?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natman

Reaction score
I'm sure there's a simple answer, but I haven't found it yet! I can't seem to locate the d-shaft pots that my BAY uses. Only tube amp doctor seems to sell them and they're in Germany. Would rather order in North America...

Thanks!

If you have a problem, call Mesa, don't know the answer? call Mesa. I needed an aluminum tube protector for my Triple rec, couldn't find one, I called Mesa, now I have it. I hope you find those pots good luck!!

mesaboogieKT88 said:
If you have a problem, call Mesa, don't know the answer? call Mesa. I needed an aluminum tube protector for my Triple rec, couldn't find one, I called Mesa, now I have it. I hope you find those pots good luck!!

+1. Mesa may have them in stock, or a suitable replacement. The part number can be found here on Page 18: http://www.mesaboogie.com/media/User Manuals/Blue Angel.pdf

Or, if you the know the value of the pot (easily measured with a multi-meter), you should be able to find D shafts at most on-line dealers. You could also order one with a different taper (e.g., audio vs linear taper) if you're not happy with the current taper. Many people complain how Mesa amps go from 0 to 100 with a minor tweak, indicative of a linear taper pot. An audio taper pot will provide a more gentle increase in volume from 0.

http://www.learningaboutelectronics.com/Articles/What-are-audio-taper-potentiometers
"The main thing differentiating audio taper potentiometers from others is that audio taper potentiometers are log tapers. Most potentiometers used are linear tapers, meaning any turn in the wiper of the potentiometer changes the resistance linearly. Audio Taper Potentiometers are log tapers, which are potentiometers that change resistance logarithmically as you turn the wiper.

A linear taper's adjustment grows far too rapidly as the pot is turned up from zero. This means that the volume levels shoot up too high right when you beginning turning it up. Volume control then is very difficult. For linear tapers, the volume control is squeezed into the first 60 degrees or so of rotation, while the rest of the rotation has little effect of audio. Linear tapers are just not built to manage audio. Log tapers, though, are perfect for audio applications. Its characteristics are suitable to the way our ears receive increasing or decreasing sounds. It gradually increases sound as the wiper is turned."

On my heartbreaker, the presence pot was bad. It was a mini body with a 3/8" standard sized bushing and D shaft. I ended up just shoving a non d-shaft plain old alpha pot in there, as the knobs were not cut for D shaft anyway.

I'd look at the knob and see if you actually need a d-shaft pot.

Latest posts

Back