The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Mesa signature amp
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:51 pm 
Mark II

Posted by JP's guitar tech Maddi on the Petrucci forum:

"We used the amp for the whole album. It is not the MKV C+ mode. This amp is based off of John's vintage C+ amps which are 60/100 watt. Not Simul-Class.
The Graphic EQ's are independent an can be assigned to any channel.
As a fan of the C+, I am loving this amp.
Maddi"

http://www.petrucciforum.com/forums/sho ... ost1009636

Last edited by shredi knight on Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:01 am 
Dual Recto

gpuma wrote:
Looking forward to hearing it.
What I am not looking forward to is the constant complaining of people that will deviate the course of any conversation on the amp saying that it doesn't sound like the original 2C+ and which, in most cases, have not played either. Let alone played them back to back.

Since it has an A/B power output, the power tubes should have the same bias on them which is unlike the Mark V. I keep burning up the center pair in my amp. Never had any issues like this with the Mark III, Mark IV, Roadster or any of my RA100's. (I know the MKIII and MKIV have similar circuitry to the Mark V but the bias on the center pair of tubes is too much). As for comparing it to an original 2C+, it does not matter to me if it does or does not compare, all that matters is how the new on sounds, its character, etc.... Heck, the Mark V CH3 Mark IV mode sounds better to me than the Mark IV ever did (reason why I no longer have it). I am interested in something a bit different and the JP-2C seems to fit what I am looking for.

Mk III (blue stripe), Mark IVb-WB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:00 pm 
Mark III

if it sounds as good as the c+....does it mean that it will devalued the original?

http://www.reverbnation.com/cradlefish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:38 am 
Mark IV

I think this is really cool. Focusing on one mode per channel reduces parts and cost, reduces compromise that mode switching sometimes needs, and the dual EQ can offer a lot of possibilities. It wouldn't reduce the value of an original, because it's not the exact same thing. 30 years of time is going to make it slightly different, but not a whole lot. Since boutique is now a big business, the parts might even be better.

I wonder if the EQ are in parallel? If so, maybe a Hetfield-type EQ scheme could be utilized for lows and highs, separately, if assigned to the same channel.

My Humble Music Tech Blog:
Dual Rectifier Index

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:46 am 
Donating Member

cradlefish wrote:
if it sounds as good as the c+....does it mean that it will devalued the original?

Doubtful. This is now at least the third "modern" Mesa amp boasting a C+ replica. There's more to a C+ than just tone; the originals have a certain feel that I've yet to feel in the Mark V line. The replicas sound great, but to me they feel stiffer and more sterile than the originals. I attribute it to the relative simplicity of the original Mark II circuit. I use the word "simplicity" in comparison to the Mark V.

Consider this: Do you think the original Mustangs or Camaros have dropped in value because the manufacturers have reissued them? Do you think the reissues will supply the driver the same vibe as the original despite being "better" driving machines with modern improvements?

Most importantly, would Steve McQueen look as cool in a modern Mustang?! :shock:

Mk IIA->C+ DRGX head "Cold Sweat" in GTS shell
1966 Fender Pro Reverb
DC-3 head
Orange Dual Terror
EVM loaded Thiele; MS-12 1/2 back
71 SG; 72 Tele; 76 White Strat; 77 LP Custom; 81 Goldtop; 05 Am Dlx Strat; 11 G0 plaintop

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:30 am 
Dual Recto

How many of you guys have played a 60/100 Boogie. My first Boogie was a 1978 Mark I 60/100 and I owned for a brief while a Mark IIB 60/100. Get ready for a VERY bold and brash power section. The 60 watt setting just cuts out some of the bass response, as it damn sure does not remove any volume. I hope you like it LOUD! :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:07 am 
Mark III

The only issue I have with the amp is that they are only making 500 of them. I predict that those 500 will be bought up immediately.
I was pleasantly surprised at the price though: $2,499 is a very fair price. However, when the new amps are all purchased, the used prices will skyrocket, much like the Two-Rock John Mayer sig.

PRS Custom 22

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:35 am 
Dual Recto

JOEY B. wrote:
How many of you guys have played a 60/100 Boogie. My first Boogie was a 1978 Mark I 60/100 and I owned for a brief while a Mark IIB 60/100. Get ready for a VERY bold and brash power section. The 60 watt setting just cuts out some of the bass response, as it damn sure does not remove any volume. I hope you like it LOUD! :shock:

I have yet to play a Class A/B Mark Series with 50/100 or 60/100. But I do have three Mesa amps that are 50/100 class A/B amps. Roadster, RA100 Head, and RA100 Combo. These three are my favorite thus far. The Mark V combo has not had much use until I replaced the speaker and now it excels close to the other three. I would prefer the Mark V to have a 50/100 class A/B power section than the Simul Class, but I also like the lower power settings in Class A mode.

Only 500 will be made, that is not good for most of us who want one to get one. :cry:

Mk III (blue stripe), Mark IVb-WB

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:22 am 
Mark III

Hollis wrote:
The only issue I have with the amp is that they are only making 500 of them. I predict that those 500 will be bought up immediately.
I was pleasantly surprised at the price though: $2,499 is a very fair price. However, when the new amps are all purchased, the used prices will skyrocket, much like the Two-Rock John Mayer sig.

Only the more expensive limited version is well...limited in number. The standard version is a ongoing thing.

JP2C
Triaxis/2:90
Roadster head -SOLD
Mark V head -SOLD
Marshall AFD100
Fractal Axe FXII/Matrix GT1600FX
EVH 5150III (stealth)
Engl E570 preamp

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:51 pm 
Mark III

Oh, so there's a standard version of the JP-2C? My bad, I guess I read it wrong

PRS Custom 22

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:32 am 
Mark III

gpuma wrote:
Looking forward to hearing it.
What I am not looking forward to is the constant complaining of people that will deviate the course of any conversation on the amp saying that it doesn't sound like the original 2C+ and which, in most cases, have not played either. Let alone played them back to back.

That is the crappy side effect of the good thing that is the internet unfortunately.

Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Gibson LP Studio with alnico ii pro
Schecter C1-XXX with emg 81/85
Jackson Dinky XL with Duncan designed???
Sigma DNC-1STE