Which Mesa for me?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troy2003

Reaction score
Hi all. Long time lurker here. I have searched for an amp to buy for over a year and have narrowed it down to Mesa. I hear so much about their customer service,warranty, and virtually nothing bad about them. Some say they are hard to dial in but that's not an amps fault IMO. I play all kinds of music-from Classic Country fiddle tunes to Motley Crue. My favorite band is AC/DC. I have bounced around from wanting a Mark V, to a TA-30, to a Lonestar Special,to a Mark V:35. This will be my only amp-I will toss my crappy amp I'm using now. I live in an apartment for the time being,but have access to a place to practice once in a while and let it rip. So weight is a factor also. I have a messed up arm that affects my lifting. I play an American Deluxe Telecaster-which I can get a myriad of tones out of due to the S-1 switch. The TA-30 is what I was leaning to the most,but they are discontinued. They are available used and once in a while new. But why were they discontinued? Just didn't catch on? The MarkV:35 combo looks nice too for portability,cab clone etc. I'm a very indecisive person and want to make the best informed decision I can because it will be a long long time before I buy an amp again. Thanks!!!

With the music you listed, I'd lean towards a TA-15/30 or Mark V. The full-size Mark V would likely be the better choice as you may get some use out of Tweed and Edge modes, but since weight is an issue the V:25/35 may be more appropriate. The LSS I think you'd struggle with as it's not a great amp for crunchy, AC/DC style riffing. Based on what you said however, I think the TA-30 is what you'll be happiest with.

As for why it was discontinued, Mesa consolidated their product lines a few years ago. I'm not privy to Mesa's inner decision process, but as an outsider I think their line was getting too confusing to potential customers and they were having a difficult time getting their dealers to carry the less popular models.

Thank you very much for the response-appreciate it. There are no dealers locally to try Mesa's out so I have been relying on demo videos. Im going to follow your advice and try a TA-30 or a Mark V:35. Thanks again!

IMO you should take a loot at the Stiletto series as well. i understand your arm issue, so maybe an ACE combo will fit your bill (1x12 combo version). it does the AC/DC tones in spades and more!!

you can get those used in a very good condition for 700-900usd

I love mesa .. But i think your tastes would be better suited with a Marshall DSL series or find a JCM 800

Back