Rocket 44 Settings

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultimate1

Reaction score
There are not a lot of threads about the Rocket44 and thought it might not be a bad idea to set up a thread for us to exchange ideas for settings that we like. Maybe it might be helpful as I am still playing around with the dials and notice something new pretty much every time I plug in. Here are my settings

The amp sounds muffled at low volumes but opens up once I turn it to 3. Too bad that is way too loud for the neighborhood. LOL

I play a G&L Legacy with 3 single coil pickups. This is what seems to work well for me:

Clean sound with only the middle pickup and rythm channel
Bluesy Rock Santana sound with the neck or neck and middle pickup and the lead channel
Hard Rock 80's style sounds with the bridge or bridge and middle pickup and the lead channel

This seems to work and I can adjust my treble and bass with the control knobs on my guitar if I have to.

Hope to get some new ideas as well as I am sure this will probably not be the last time I mess with the dials 8)

Cool -- good idea to have a settings thread. Actually, the Rocket 44 is kind of the forgotten Mesa -- it's not even mentioned in most general Mesa history write ups or product overviews. I have messed around with mine for about 4 years. Currently I run clean gain on 3, dirty gain on 6-6.5, masters to taste, treble 6.5, mids 5, bass 5, reverb 8. Turning the gain down seems to retain more highs especially on the clean channel. I generally just use Contour for dirt but for a lot of time I used the regular drive sound with the treble cranked to 8 but my ears have changed. I find as I turn up gain on the clean to get a clipped bluesy tone that I also need to roll off a lot of bass to keep the clarity.

Check out the speaker mute and the emulated speaker line-out for recording. You can get the tubes really cooking and pull awesome tones straight to tape/soundcard without bothering anyone. It's a killer feature on this amp.

i'll pitch in mine also. Yes, i agree. There may not be many out there for the reasons why it isn't discuss as much as their other models. None the less it's a rockin amp!

Since I've owned mine for 3 years. I've put NOS tubes for the pre and power section. Love it even more.

I do find that this amp has way much gain for what i initially anticipated, but it's very controllable and quite flexible.

For the clean I have the gain on 2, vol ...whatever it calls for. It gives me great pristine clean tones.
dirty, I have it on 3 and vol to taste. Plenty of gain without sounding shrilly.

Treble 4, mid 9, bass 5, reverb 2-3 with contour on.

Latest posts

Back