When should I use a Power Amp for my rig?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pratamaputra

Reaction score
Hi guys.

First, I know I have posted a topic about choosing between the Mesa 50/50 or the 2:Fifty.

What I wanna ask is this : When do I actually need a power amp for my rig? How do I set it up shall I need one in my rig?

My rig now consists of a Mesa Mark V:25 with 2x12 Vertical (slant) cab with a bunch of pedals and rack compressors. Thinking of upgrading the V:25 to the V:35 or the full size Mark V with 4x12 cabs.

Thanks guys!

pratamaputra said:
Hi guys.
What I wanna ask is this : When do I actually need a power amp for my rig? How do I set it up shall I need one in my rig?
You don't need a power amp unless you're using a preamp that doesn't have it's own power (like the Quad that's currently listed in the classified section, for example).

Using a power amp alongside a regular head like your V:25 or a V:35 is possible, but it'd be a pretty strange and complicated setup. At that point you might as well just upgrade to a full-powered head, which is a much simpler way to sound louder and/or heavier.

If you find yourself losing low-end at max volume or you get to the point where clean is not as clean as you'd like, I'd try the Fryette Power Station.

Alternatively, I have run in stereo with a Mini Recto. That's really cool because you get more volume, plus you can switch in the channels from the MR and have all kinds of goodness, like

MR clean/pushed
MV crunch
MV IIC+ or IV
MR grind

Like a Roadster, but better.

The CabClone out to a 50/50 would probably also work really well, but I think the form factor of the Power Station is nicer. If you've already got a rack, the 50/50 is great. IMO the 2:50 is not significantly different from the 50/50.

I own both a Mark V and the mini Mark V:25. So far, the mini Mark has worked in virtually any gig situation, because we mic the guitar. He he, now I don't even have to "mic" it, and can use the direct cab clone output, which works great! However, on a larger stage, where I want the stage volume of the amp to be louder, and that compromises the quality of my desired tone, I will use the higher headroom of the big Mark V. Sometimes I just want the different tone of the 6L6's or the third channel, and opt to use the big Mark V. But, if you are running the guitar through the PA, you don't need more power than the v:25 offers.

So, unless you need actual volume levels that prevent you from getting the tones you want (pushing the EL84 power section harder than you want), there is no need for more power. If your desired tone is compromised by lack of headroom, then you do need more power. However, in my opinion, a separate power amp is one more piece of gear to haul, one more connection that might go wrong, and one more link in the chain that could be a problem. I'd recommend getting a higher powered Mark V version, as they all knock down to 10 watts.
New%20Mesas_zpstuqpacjc.jpg

elvis said:
If you find yourself losing low-end at max volume or you get to the point where clean is not as clean as you'd like, I'd try the Fryette Power Station.

Alternatively, I have run in stereo with a Mini Recto. That's really cool because you get more volume, plus you can switch in the channels from the MR and have all kinds of goodness, like

MR clean/pushed
MV crunch
MV IIC+ or IV
MR grind

Like a Roadster, but better.

The CabClone out to a 50/50 would probably also work really well, but I think the form factor of the Power Station is nicer. If you've already got a rack, the 50/50 is great. IMO the 2:50 is not significantly different from the 50/50.

Been trying to find that Fryette thing but it's not available in Indonesia. Even if I wanna buy it from the states, it will be too expensive in the end.

babow2 said:
I own both a Mark V and the mini Mark V:25. So far, the mini Mark has worked in virtually any gig situation, because we mic the guitar. He he, now I don't even have to "mic" it, and can use the direct cab clone output, which works great! However, on a larger stage, where I want the stage volume of the amp to be louder, and that compromises the quality of my desired tone, I will use the higher headroom of the big Mark V. Sometimes I just want the different tone of the 6L6's or the third channel, and opt to use the big Mark V. But, if you are running the guitar through the PA, you don't need more power than the v:25 offers.

So, unless you need actual volume levels that prevent you from getting the tones you want (pushing the EL84 power section harder than you want), there is no need for more power. If your desired tone is compromised by lack of headroom, then you do need more power. However, in my opinion, a separate power amp is one more piece of gear to haul, one more connection that might go wrong, and one more link in the chain that could be a problem. I'd recommend getting a higher powered Mark V version, as they all knock down to 10 watts.
New%20Mesas_zpstuqpacjc.jpg

Yeah, I think so too and am thinking on saving money on buying the full size Mark V along with a 4x12 cab.

Just started on making my album and for the meantime, I should make it enough with the setup I have.

Anyways, here's a soundclip of my current sound using the Mark V:25 and 2x12 vertical slant can, mic'd with SM57, Beta 57 and the internal CabClone.

Let me know what you guys think of the headroom and sound and how can I improve.

https://soundcloud.com/pratamaputra/squeak-squeak-wip-19-11-15

Thanks guys!

Back