An Help to come back to Boogie

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHypnotoad

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I apologise in advance for the lenght of the post, first of all: I've not a band yet, I play mostly for my personal enjoment atm, I play Metal (speed, power, thrash, gothic) with very rare clean\blues sessions.
Actually all the guitars (6 and 7 strings) are tuned half tone down and equipped with Seymour Duncan Jazz and TB-4 pickups, I have a drop D one that I play rarely that have the EMG 85-81 set.

In the past I've owned the one and only Mesa of my life: a Dual Rectifier huge amp and huge power, love the feeling I've had with the amp, the only one that give me the ideal sound that lied in my head at the time. Sadly was too powerful, and with too many channels, I am for the simple way of life clean-overdrive, the mesa mods in the channels help for the variation but I've never feel that i need a pure 3 channel amp.
After almost a decade, I find out Mesa made some low wattage amps, first of all I've look at the mini recto, then the Express 5:25+ in the end the Mark V 25, I did not have the chance to try each one of them I've look trough a lot of youtube reviews; the only amp that I've the chance to try in the only store at a resonable distance for me was the Express 5:50+, 6L6 tubes, so I did not have the chance to made a comparison with the EL84, the cab was a 2x12 Mesa Compact. The thing that impressed me the most in the 5:50+ was the volume, so the 25w seems spot on for my needs and the graphic eq from the Mark model, this last one blow me away! Awesome the interaction with the overdrive channel, and the possibility of using presets instead of sliders.
So I decided to go for the 5:25+ BUT at exact same time Mesa come down with the Mark 25 and atm I am little undecided. The idea to have the Iconic Mark in small size (the dream of my early guitarist life) excites me but i don't wanna have and amp that leave me unsatisfied for the future, I am searching for something can be a still point for long time.
The things that bugs me atm between the two models are:
the eq: in the Mark you've no preset and you can assign the eq only at one channel per time, in the 5:25+ you can easly use the preset for the ''V'' in the overdrive and use the sliders in the clean, but I never see anyone use the sliders for the clean, and I have got no chance to try it so if you have some experience will be helpful;
the wattage: 5-15-25 on 5:25+, only 10-25 on Mark V dunno if is an handicap guess not, but here again no experience with the EL84 behavior, only the manual description, and some reviews on youtube;
some minor things like the footswitchable reverb and loop, that i can oversee, I don't use them so often and it's the same with the ''solo'' feature, even the cabclone is something I don't feel I need so badly.
In the end I guess is a battle trought versatility at one side (the Express+) and the Mark Sound at the other. You guys play surely more than me with the Boogies so I hope you can help me going trought the choice.
For the cab: I am deep in the DIY and I've projected a cab of my own: ¾ inch baltic birch glued and nailed, 1x12, with the same volume of the recto cab, dimensions 20 x 18½ x 13, with a WGS Veteran 30 speaker.

Thank you so much for the help

A.

Hello A,

I do not have the amps you mention. I have a Roadster head with 2x12 recto cab.

I see you're from Italy. Beautiful country. I've been for holiday many years ago with my then new wife. She's Italian.

Choosing an amp is a very personal choice. Express? Mark? Other?

I wouldn't worry about wattage: Mark is 10-25W versus Express 5-15-25W. This is negligible. 5W is loud, so is 10W. The difference in perceived volume? Very little.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the EQ on the Mark either. I see the foot switch has an EQ button on it, so you can switch it in/out via the footswitch if each channel is setup this way for EQ FS control.

Further, you can always put an EQ pedal in the loop for more versatility.

I'm not sure what you mean by EQ presets instead of sliders. Either I'm not understanding you or you have the wrong impression about the EQ on both of the amps. The Mark and Express EQ is made up of sliders (x5) and where you have them set is the EQ setting for ALL channels. The EQ is not programmable (no preset / store function). If the EQ is 'V' shape, then it's 'V' shape for all channels. You can only switch the EQ in/out for each channel and that is it.

In summary, wattage is no big deal. EQ is no big deal (can use extra EQ pedal if you really need to).

In the end, which amp do you think is the most versatile? And ultimately, which amp will make you smile the most when you plug your guitar in?

Never an easy choice.

-B

hi Blaklynx thanks for the answer!!!

I'll try to explain better myself on this one:
Blaklynx said:
I'm not sure what you mean by EQ presets instead of sliders. Either I'm not understanding you or you have the wrong impression about the EQ on both of the amps. The Mark and Express EQ is made up of sliders (x5) and where you have them set is the EQ setting for ALL channels. The EQ is not programmable (no preset / store function). If the EQ is 'V' shape, then it's 'V' shape for all channels. You can only switch the EQ in/out for each channel and that is it.

on side of the sliders in the 'Big' Mark V and in the express + series you've a potentiometer named 'preset' that allows you to use a fix 'V' shape instead of make it with the sliders ( basically the more you turn the pot clockwise more the 'V' spreads), and it's assegnable per channel, so you can use the sliders on the clean and the 'preset' in the overdrive; but as I said I did not see anyone work with the eq in the clean channel so far. and you're absolutely right on the stomp eq thing.

Blaklynx said:
In the end, which amp do you think is the most versatile? And ultimately, which amp will make you smile the most when you plug your guitar in?

ah! this is a nice question! :D :D :D so far I've got the chance to try the express+ series, I was sincerely impressed, the Mark V 25 I've not the chance to play trought yet, manual wise and youtube wise seems more versatile than the express that look like more simple, I need to find a store that allows me to try the Mark, but here is not so easy, it's hard to Find Mesa Product around here, I know choose and amp is definitely personal, but maybe some opinion from someone that is deep in the Mesa playing can help me somehow :)

thanks again!

A.

TheHypnotoad said:
the eq: in the Mark you've no preset and you can assign the eq only at one channel per time, in the 5:25+ you can easly use the preset for the ''V'' in the overdrive and use the sliders in the clean, but I never see anyone use the sliders for the clean, and I have got no chance to try it so if you have some experience will be helpful;

You don't need the EQ for cleans. On the Mark V:90 you can use the preset to add a bit of a scoop and make it more Fender like... but it's not really neccissary IMO. I never use the preset on mine.

The remainder of the issues are personal. If I owned a Mark V:25 I would use channel 1 Crunch for rhythm and Channel 2 IIC+ for lead with the same V shape on the graphic EQ for both channels. Solo boost wouldn't be an issue for me since channel 2 is already dedicated to lead. Footswitchable reverb also wouldn't an issue since I would use the controls on the back of the amp to set channel 1 dry and channel 2 with reverb. I would like a switchable effects loop so I could assign delay to channel 2 only, but it's not really a deal breaker.

thanks screamingdaisy

I'll think about, atm the Mark V 25 is picking up some lenght on the Express+, I hope I'll can try the 25 soon, and maybe go for it; the express is a great amp, I've try it, but Mark, even a little one is something I've dream about for quite a while and hopefully can be the catch :D

A.

Wait, you want an Express and you play metal? I would think for you, it would be between the Mark V 25 and the Mini Recto.

Ola Demoing Mark V 25
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32cpCr3j23A

Ola Demoing Mini Recto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkdMmQxEclo

Honestly 5 - 10 watts is hair splitting. You'll find a great 1 x 12 cab goes really well with a small format head for reasonable volumes!!

Mark V / Mark V 25 comparison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpZQZo7aZCg

Dual / Mini Recto comparison.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXY53F03-lk

I tried the Mini in person and sounds really great. Definitely has a hair less power than a Dual which helps it out at lower volumes.

well, that was clarifying!

the Mini Recto sounds less darker and more open then the big one, and it's amazing how the Mark 25 sound pretty the same as the Big Brother.

I've find the Mark 25 not so far from my town and I am going to try it soon, in all honesty I think I will go for it,

the cab will be a 1x12 Mesa Rectifier Cab, I am thinking about ''cloning'' it DIY, and put in a WGS veteran 30 instead of the Celestion V30 that to my ears sounds a little better.

A.

TheHypnotoad said:
I'll try to explain better myself on this one:

on side of the sliders in the 'Big' Mark V and in the express + series you've a potentiometer named 'preset' that allows you to use a fix 'V' shape instead of make it with the sliders ( basically the more you turn the pot clockwise more the 'V' spreads), and it's assegnable per channel, so you can use the sliders on the clean and the 'preset' in the overdrive; but as I said I did not see anyone work with the eq in the clean channel so far. and you're absolutely right on the stomp eq thing.

A.

OK, I understand but you only mention about the mini Mark, not the big Mark in your first post, so my reply was for mini Mark. No problem.

It sounds to me Mark is in your heart but you worry about 'less' features. In the end, some features are nice, others are gimmicks, and most features never get used (realistically). How did great guitarists 30-50 years ago use such simple amps? :arrow: On/off switch and 4-5 dials :shock:

Whatever you buy, make sure you are happy.

BTW. I love Italy. Bellissimo. My wife is Italian. We travelled there 12 years ago. Still remember it as if it was yesterday.

-B

sorry Blaklynx sometimes I am a little messy in the explanations :mrgreen:

after hearing the confrontation and the videos I think the Mark V 25 will be my first-after-long-time boogie, need to try it of course but I am pretty impressed 8)

Italy is a Beatiful and Crazy place at the same time, maybe is that combination that make it wonderful I don't know, and I live here :mrgreen:

A.

well guys,

I've choose the Mark V 25, purchased today, I am beyond happy!

now I need just to finish the two diy guitars cabinet 1x12 and I can start playing :)

A.

Back