Rectoverb 25, Mini Rec, Mark V:25.....Mercury OT?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polaris20

Reaction score
Has anyone tried a Mercury Magnetics output transformer in their Mesa Mini yet? I'm curious if it'll help at higher volumes, and/or if it improves the tone overall.

Mini Rec owner of over 3 years here. I know MM transformers are among the best out there, but I haven't felt the need to experiment with one since I'm really happy with my amp as it is; I play it loud (like channel masters at noon-3 o'clock) and have no complaints or problems. Also, I have total confidence in Mesa that they don't skimp on parts quality and have matched the best components to get the job done. I'm really not likely to risk screwing something up (AND voiding my warranty) that already does what I need it to do and far exceeds my expectations while doing it.

ryjan said:
Are you just bored or are there specific changes you are trying to make to your amp?
:lol: I have a old '68 Fender Princeton that just I would "break-up" just right for 60ish "rock 'n roll' guitar songs."

Anyway, the output transformer blew. I replaced it with a Heyboer transformer, a high quality transformer. I got more headroom, sound more robust. But guess what? It lost its "charm" that I was used to originally. If I was able to get the original PT, I would have gone with that.

So there's some trade-offs replacing the transformer and doesn't necessarily mean for the better tone.

ryjan said:
Are you just bored or are there specific changes you are trying to make to your amp?

I covered what I was looking for in the original post. Higher headroom, perhaps.

Back