Mesa Rectifier Boost / Overdrive

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Standard answer is Maxon OD808. It blends really well with the Recto and when set right it doesn't feel like you're using a pedal. Particularly good for boosted rhythm, I was always a little underwealmed when I used it for lead.

Lately I've been using the Mesa Flux-Drive. I really like it for leads. More compression, and the two knob EQ lets me keep things fatter (I can dial out the bass cut), and dial in the appropriate sizzle without it being harsh or thin sounding.

I like the grid slammer best of the four mesa pedals on my recto preamp, though I always prefer the Mark IIC+ without anything in front.

Maybe Grid Slammer for rhythm and Flux Drive for more liquid lead ?
These seem like the best two for a Rectifier.

Agree.... The lead channel on a Mark does no it need anything.

I'm curious about the Grid Slammer. From what I've been able to find its similar to a Tubescreamer, but has the mids slid up so its more of an upper mid push. It's also said to have less low end cut and more dB of boost on tap so you can push the amp just a bit harder.

My personal theory is that the Mesa pedals should be voiced to work really well with Mesa amps.

VFE makes some great boosters at a reasonable price considering the amount of customization offered with little if any up-charge.
Their FOCUS works perfect IMO for boosting active pickups and the ICE SCREAM is perfect between passives and high-gain.

screamingdaisy said:
I'm curious about the Grid Slammer. From what I've been able to find its similar to a Tubescreamer, but has the mids slid up so its more of an upper mid push. It's also said to have less low end cut and more dB of boost on tap so you can push the amp just a bit harder.

My personal theory is that the Mesa pedals should be voiced to work really well with Mesa amps.
I've got a Grid Slammer, and your assessment and personal theory are spot on. I use the GS with my Mini Rec's clean channel set to be crunchy with guitar volume wide open, and it pushes the amp over the edge nicely, giving me a "third channel" option somewhere between squeaky clean and the way I have the OD channel set-up. At one of our NZ "gearfests" a few people noted that the GS matched the amp's voicing in just that way. I imagine that if I needed to boost the OD channel the GS would do it very well, but, to my ears, the Mini Rec is naturally tighter (due to the EL-84 power section, perhaps) than its big Recto cousins, and being in a trio, I don't need to boost for solos.

Latest posts

Back