Have a Triple Rec, question on Rivera Rockcrusher

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2manygadgets

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Looking for some advice... want to do more recording at home, I really want consistency between different recording sessions. I have a four year old and he loves my gear. I'm afraid to leave my SM57 out because I fear he would mess with it. Even though I don't expect he would break it, I'm guessing he might accidentally move it or otherwise affect the consistency aspect of leaving a mic in front of my cab.

I've have been considering a number of options including the Radial JDX or the JDX Reactor (500 series module). Anyway, part of me wants to get a load box/attenuator as well. I've been thinking about getting the Rivera Rockcrusher Recording which looks to be really great from all of the reviews. My main question is since it's rated for up to a 120 watts max, should I be concerned about using it with the Triple Rec?

My guess is that I generally won't have it completely maxed out I should be OK using it as either a load box or attenuator but I want to be sure. I would "think" I'd have to have my master up really high. Not sure if the Mesa's get to full wattage at noon or if the volume pot really needs to turned all the way over to get up to the full 150 watts. I know that when I've played out, I get great saturation at having the master on about 9 (as measured if you're looking at a clock) and having the channel volume at noon.

I realize the other option is to take out two tubes (I've followed a couple threads on here and seen that it's possible to pull out either tube 1 & 6, 2 & 5, or 3 & 4 and I never use tube rectification so I don't care about removing a rectifier tube) but it also seems like when you do that there's no clear direction on what OHM's jack you should use.

So, again, anyone know if I shouldn't be worried about 120 vs. 150 as long as I'm not turning the master up really high? Or somebody have a definitive answer from Mesa on what OHM's jack should be used if I do this?

Thanks in advance.

I'd be concerned about it because

1. You will have no way of knowing how many Watts your amp is producing
2. You'll worry about it
3. You won't just damage the Rock Crusher, you'll damage the amp

Get a CabClone.

I have the original Rock Crusher. It's made well and works well as a dummy load, but the record out sucks. I had WAY better sound from a JDX, which I really liked.

I don't know if the Rock Crusher Recording is better. Looks like they put some effort into it.

Not sure about the attenuators. I've never used one.

As for mic placement: Place some tape in X pattern on the grille (masking tape is OK) to mark the spot that you want. Wherever you go, X marks the spot.

Alternatively get creative marking the spot: maybe weave some thread on the grille that's not so noticeable. You can always remove it without leaving sticky residue from tape.

For mic angle placement, get a piece of rectangular cardboard and cut one side at the angle the mic comes off the grille. On this angled side mark how far off the mic is from the grille. Carry this in your box of goodies. Instant template for mic placement.

-B

As an update, I went with the JDX. I like it. It doesn't 100% sound like my cab but it's not bad. Still want an attenuator / load boxes for late night recording. Has anyone messed with the THD Hotplate? It handles up to 185 watts but I've seen a couple reviews saying that it colors your tone.
Here's a sample of the JDX -
https://soundcloud.com/tony-lamarca/jdx-1

I use a Jettenuator (got it new for $129) as a load box and then I use the slave out of my roadster combo and the two notes plugin for cab emulation. Sounds great and I can record with fantastic tone at any hour of the day.

Latest posts

Back