Back to the Boogie fold

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's been a few years since I've had a good tube amp at home. Longer than should be allowed. I sold off my last Boogie a few years ago. I had the DC-5 head and then gravitated towards Fenders for the most part. I went the Egnater route for a little but now I'm back.

Found a good deal on a used ROV 25 combo in wine red yesterday and I had to take it home with me. I've had a rough few days with the gf's mom being in the ICU, and since I was worn out I barely played at all last night. Basically just function checked it and played about 5 minutes.

I have never really been all that advanced with running pedals but I'm looking for some advice on how I should try running stuff on the new ROV.

Right now I only have a Boss tremolo, TC T2 reverb, Small Clone and MXR Badass 78' OD to mess with. I'm guessing I won't even need the OD anymore as the amp covers my needs pretty well, but I'd like to at least try it out with the clean channel.

I should run the OD in front of the amp and the rest through the loop, right? Is there an ideal order for me to hook up the chorus, trem and reverb? I like the reverb on the amp but haven't gotten a footswitch for it yet.

I know, this is pretty basic stuff but I've always just run everything in front of the amp.

Welcome back!

I'd put OD in front and everything else in the loop. You can play with order, But I think the last two should be delay and reverb, in that order.

HOWEVER, a lot of people prefer some time effects like vibe and phaser in front to get the EVH/Robin Trower sounds. I do that.

The ROV combo has a tiny, boxy cab and it can sound honky. I recommend sticking it on top of a Thiele for some great low reinforcement. Outside of that, I gigged with one for about a year and I loved it.

Good to know. I normally just run reverb and I think I can make the ROV work for me pretty well. I like the T2 for the long ambient spacey stuff but I tend to use that more when recording and less as something I play with live. Now, maybe if I'm running a spare cab I can try to make that work for me as well.

I can see the help a Thiele would give the little guy. I'm thinking that'll be my next purchase going forward with the ROV. This is my first dabble into the Rectifier family and I'm having a hard time getting a bad sound out of it. The tolex has some battle wounds, but I can't see why someone turned it into GC...different strokes I guess.

Also, been running on fumes recently and just realized last night the MXR wasn't technically an OD but labeled as a distortion. I ran it a few minutes in front of the cleans and think I found a good balance to toss in a little grit. I only have the one factory footswitch for the ROV right now, so I need to either run the 78' and not bounce between channels and use it for the reverb, or run the T2 and use the switch for the channels. I'll have to get a chance to crank it and see what works best.

Back