I need to make a decision FAST!! help me

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nault.jama

Reaction score
»So i wanted to sell my mark iv even if i do love it...So this guy offered me a Marshall JVM 210 AND a peavey 6505

So do or dont....

Which came first? The idea to sell the IV or the trade offer?

If you love it, why sell?

Do you like the other amps?

Do you really want both of them?

Would you rather have cash?

Very rarely do good things happen fast. Usually good things come slowly and bad things happen fast.

Other options with similar used values include JCM800, Roadster, Electradyne, Royal Atlantic, Dual Rec.

On playing my Mark iv through a cheap Randall cabinet loaded with cheap celestion... Thé clean channel soynd awesome, the R2 is OK when boosted with my bb preamp but im starting to get tire of m'y lead channel wich i find to be arch. I just cant seem to get the aggresive fire breathing tone out of it, so I placed an add for a trade of the same value. One guy said a jvm 210 wixh I replied no and he then said plus a peavey 6505. So I told him to hold on while I think of it. So I came here asking for your opinion...but now that I think of it maybe a cab upgrade would help....

So what would you do...

I'd bring it to a music store and run it through a decent 4x12 cab and see what I could get out of it. If it can't sound great through a 4x12, it can't sound great. If it can, you can usually get close with a smaller cab.

A 1x12 is generally going to sound anemic.

Also, maybe most important, you need to turn it up. It is unusual that you get great clean but lousy crunch. IMO the opposite is usually true. Could be that you are running it super quiet.

Value wise it is a fair trade when looking at resale values. The 6505 actually might be up your ally for tone, it is brutal, I would say try them out.

So how is it to play 2 different head on a single cab. How do you like the match of the 6505 pair with a jvm 210..??

Dude put a better cab with the 4. Channel three on that sucker is one of the best lead channels in existence. Trading it for a marshal and/or Peavy is sacralidge. You'll be a LOT happier pushing air thru a nicer cab with the 4.

The wrong or right cab makes all the difference. My Mark III sounded OK through my Peavey straight 4x12 w/ Sheffields. When I tried it through my recently acquired Carvin 4x12 straight with Vintage 30s, it was like a totally different amp. The sound was so much bigger and full of life. Night and day.

lowercasee said:
The wrong or right cab makes all the difference. My Mark III sounded OK through my Peavey straight 4x12 w/ Sheffields. When I tried it through my recently acquired Carvin 4x12 straight with Vintage 30s, it was like a totally different amp. The sound was so much bigger and full of life. Night and day.

Agreed 100%

Agreed with all the above, don't get rid of the iv. Look into another can and pick up a used 6505 if you want that style of tone as well, even if that means you wait a little to save. I bet you'll regret selling the mark iv in the long run, better to just add to the collection haha. I found im happiest with a few amps for options when i get "tired" of one particular sound.

nault.jama said:
So how is it to play 2 different head on a single cab. How do you like the match of the 6505 pair with a jvm 210..??
I'm a big fan of using two different heads at once, but there are a lot of little things to worry about - how you're splitting the signal, whether the heads are in phase (for instance my Mark 3 is out of phase with my 5150 and also my Mesa D180, I've been told this has to do with the number of gain stages it has)...

Anyhow if you run two heads into the two sides of a stereo cab you should have no problem, although I've heard that this works best when the cab is split into two sections - like a Mesa halfback, for example, as opposed to a Recto 4x12. The reason for this is that the speakers that share a single box will interfere with each other.

Just letting you know, i traded my mark iv for a peavey 6505…….not!!!!!

Its a keeper. ill defenitly be buying a new cab.

here are my option, and i would like your input on witch cab do you think sound best with my iv…Of course i will go and audition em all… just want to know if you guys have a preference.

1-http://www.musiquegagne.com/annonces.php?sec=3&item=8418 (Huges and ketner with V30)

2-http://www.musiquegagne.com/annonces.php?sec=3&item=8884 (Genz benz with home brew speaker from GenzBenz)

3-http://www.musiquegagne.com/annonces.php?sec=3&item=7475 ( Mesa with v30 )

They are all closely priced

thank you

I love the way vintage 30s sound so I would personally go with either the Mesa or H&K, most likely the Mesa. The sound is just huge!

Yeah definitely the v30. I would choose the Mesa. Their version of the v30 is a little darker and smoother. Plus their cabs are built very very well. However you can't go wrong with any v30. Def not the genz benz.

Back