Road King II preamp tube suggestions.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepingtiger

Reaction score
Anybody have any favorites? I've got several NOS & current 12ax7s & a few 5751s I could use, but wonder what you guys have used & are using. Looking forward to your suggestions & experiences.

Tony

I have a roadster and I recently put in some new preamp and power tubes. I put in JJ ECC803 S in V1 and ECC83S in V2 V3 and a balanced one in V6. I originally had a tung sol in V1 and I like the JJ's better. I did gold pins not because I thought there was more magic in them, but rather that they will tend to perform more consistently.

I also put in KT66's in the power section. I like them a lot for what I do; classic rock, rock, blues.

With all that said, give us some clue of what sound you are going for and others might have some suggestions.

Pristine clean, AC15ish slight grind(remember I have EL84s in place of EL34s), nice sustainy lead tone & nice thumpy crunchy Recto distortion. I sort-of have these, but figure someone else might do it better.

Tony

Back