First Mesa Boogie.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Mesa serial numbers are (generally) sequential and aren't a form of date coding. That said, you can usually look inside the chassis and see an inspection date written somewhere inside. Some amps have a "birth date" written in silver marker on the outside of the chassis near the serial number tag... I think this started in 2009 and I'm not sure if they do it to every amp or just some.

2. "Hot" is a fairly subjective term and I can't really provide any advice based on it. My Dual heats up but I can still touch it with bare skin.

3. Mesa's current issue 12AX7 tube is a JJ ECC83. Their 6L6 is the same tube as the Ruby/TAD 6L6GC-STR. The 5U4GB is Electro-Harmonix.

4. You can pull a pair of power tubes and a rectifier tube on a Dual to bring it down to 50w but I'm not sure if it's possible on a Triple.

5. It completely bypasses the master output and the volume is dependant on the channel volumes. There's no reason you can't bypass it using the switch on the back, but you'll loose the ability to use the effects loop, master output and solo boost.

6. I can't remember, but Mesa will tell you if you call.

7. When in diode it bypasses the rectifier tubes. On older Rectos you're supposed to turn the amp off first. On newer ones (Multi-Watt, Roadster, Road King) I don't think it matters.

The serial on my dual rec is R-0216xx. It was manufactured May 29, 2001. If i had to make an educated guess, i'd say your amp is from late '01 to mid '02.

I think you can email mesa the serial and they'll tell you the mfr date.

You can also pull the board on the amp and there should be a hand written date on there too just don't shock yourself.

Latest posts

Back