Running Extension Cab -Blue Angel

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natman

Reaction score
Hey guys, I feel a bit dumb but I can't can't figure this out:

I want to run my 1x12 BA combo + a 2x10 extension cab.

Right now my 12" speaker is 16 ohms and the manual says to use the lower impedance jack when using 6V6's (which I use most of the time), so it gets plugged into the 8 ohm jack.
I do switch it back to the correct jack if I go up to EL84's or Simul Class FWIW.

Now I understand how output transformers work but only to an extent. As far as I can tell, the secondary just needs to "see" the correct load, no matter where it is coming from. So hypothetically:
16 ohm speaker + 16 ohm cab (2 x 8 ohm speakers in series) would probably have the jacks in parallel I'm guessing? then I would have an 8 ohm load and I should plug it into the 4 ohm jack when using 6V6?

You can see where it gets complicated real quick.
Thanks for your input (pun intended)

Natman,

It can get confusing sometimes, especially under your current set-up circumstances! However, you are correct in all your assumptions (a. the secondary sees only total combined load, and b. you have an 8 ohm load in your current setup).

It's often convenient to break it down into blocks:

Blue Angel --> Cab

The Cab here consists of (2) 16 ohm loads in parallel, hence any amp will see a total 8 ohms in resistance.

Hence,

For normal use:
Blue Angel (8ohm) --> internal 16-ohm speaker
Blue Angel (8ohm) --> external 16-ohm cab.

For 6v6 use:
Blue Angel (4ohm) --> internal 16-ohm speaker
Blue Angel (4ohm) --> external 16-ohm cab.

Hope that helps.

Chris

Hey all, just bumping this to share a bit. I tried the arrangement mentioned above, using the 2x10 cab I built (Weber alnico P10R and Silver Ten) and the combo's 12" (Mojo Greyhound). To my surprise, there was a volume drop when using all 3 speakers and it didn't really sound that hot. Either the cab or the single 12 on their own sounded better. There was definite farting from the P10R if I pushed it too much. Shortly after trying these, my RCA Blackplate 6V6s died :( . Waiting for some new glass to arrive and will keep testing, but early indications are that it's not as awesome as I had hoped. The 2x10 on its own did limit volume as I was planning however and bass loss was minimal.

I have a 2x10 combo with 8 Ohm speakers in parallel and I use the 16 Ohm jack.

I'm a little confused by the advice in the owner's manual about using the 4 Ohm jack when using the 6V6s. Is that true regardless of the speaker impedance?

Am I going to have problems if I forget to change jacks when I switch over to the EL84s?

And what do you use when using the 6V6s and the EL84s together?

So confusing

That said, it sounds great to me as-is with the 16 Ohm jack (at least at bedroom volumes)

Latest posts

Back