King Snake Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpuma

Reaction score
I had the opportunity to play a King Snake the other day and I loved it.
I have a question, however.
Would it be possible to switch inputs on a KS via an A/B/Y switch?
If not, why?

gpuma said:
I had the opportunity to play a King Snake the other day and I loved it.
I have a question, however.
Would it be possible to switch inputs on a KS via an A/B/Y switch?
If not, why?

From the King Snake User Manual:

"Original Mark I’s were shipped with a harness to achieve rudimentary channel switching with an external A/B box. Modern performance expectations would consider this inadequate, so we’ve focused instead on optimizing the SNAKE’s single channel performance. We don’t recommend trying to “channel-switch” the SNAKE with an external A/B box as pot tapers have been altered from Original MARK I spec to achieve this single channel optimization."

and

"Some players will attempt to use an external A/B box and two cables connected to both Inputs to achieve rudimentary Channel
Switching with the KING SNAKE. The original Mark I and the KING SNAKE were never designed as channel switching amplifiers
and while A/B switching can work in a small window of settings, there are MANY more settings and tonal options you’ll likely want to access where channel switching won’t work well. While this is possible at certain settings, the KING SNAKE is not set-up for Channel Switching operation due to its optimization for a single channel platform. Unlike original MARK I amplifiers, the KING SNAKE will actually be quieter in Input 1 at most great sounding settings than Input 2. This is due to a dual-element pot on the MASTER that “follows” your Input choices and uses different elements to achieve a balance in demo settings. Should you insist on attempting a Channel Switching scenario, using a “clean boost” pedal such as our TONE BURST™ into Input 1 can help to increase the volume level and achieve a balance between the two Inputs."

Latest posts

Back