Old DC-5 Owner with Express 5:50 Plus Looking for Opinions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJ Slaughter

Reaction score
I've owned and gigged with DC amps, mainly the 10 and 5, for years and I am currently using my DC-5 head all the time. At a music store recently I tried out a PRS DGT through an Express 5:50 Plus combo. I quickly bonded with the amp, and guitar but that didn't make it home with me, yet. I don't need many amps and only use the DC-5 for gigs so I'm trying to decide if I really need or want the Express along with the DC or instead of.

Aside from having more options than the DC, I find the Express Plus to be brighter than the DC. One of my cabinets is loaded with WGS Retro 30s which have a little brighter top end I wanted for the DC-5 in my classic rock band. For my pop/rock dance band I use a EVM12L. To me the Express with the EVM sounds well balanced but with the Retro 30s it's very bright approaching brittle. The DC sounds great to me with either cabinet. I would be perfectly happy staying with the DC-5 but if can justify keeping the Express and integrating it into my rig I don't mind that either.

If anyone else has experience with both these amps, what are your overall impressions? I have only played around with the amp one afternoon so far and need more time with it but I do welcome any insight into the Express and if it's worth keeping over the DC-5. Sometimes you just want a new piece of gear but in this case I am not sure if the change is worth while for me.

Latest posts

Back